Recommend me some Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Non-Digital Tom, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

A nice high-end set for classic Strat tones. I'm putting my trusty old (highly modified) '79 back together.

2. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

SR's from WRC are just the bomb! I don't know if Jim has put them back into porduction. They turned by Custom Shop Strat into a timeless classic.

3. tillerusa

tillerusa Member

WCRs are a very popular set as are the Suhr V60lps.

I prefer Harmonic Design pickups and feel comfortable recommending them. The vintage plus (slightly overwound) are the set that I use, but the '54 Specials (which I have no first hand experience with. . .yet) will probably fill the vintage niche a bit better.

If you want noiseless, Kinman's are popular and if you've got the clams Suhr has a new noiseless system that will work with normal pickups.

4. YZDanno

YZDanno Member

+1 on the Harmonic Designs stuff. They also make a great tele bridge pickup that fits in a strat bridge position. This with the regular strat neck and mid gives a strat the best of both worlds in my opinion (strat+tele).

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/custom_shop.html

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Suhr VLP60's.
    Fralin Woodstock '69 (or current equivalent-vintage steel pole?)
    Kinman Hank Marvin Signatures

S>
    j

6. Amit

Amit Member

Do you know what type bar magnet in used in the V+ neck?
    The inductance maybe?
    Does it still retain the "glass" and "bell" even though it is a hot pickup?

7. JamCam

JamCam Member

Get SD TExas Specials for neck and middle and a single-sized bucker for teh bridge.
    killer.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

9. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Fralin Blues, neck middle. knocks out a bit of the harshness in exchange for more mid range fatness without getting overly hot and ruining the character. I don't like to go much over 7K.

HARMONIC DESIGN - S-90 in the Bridge. I don't know if there is a better strat/tele lead pickup that's ever been created by humans.

10. tillerusa

tillerusa Member

I don't know the type of magnet and I don't know the inductance of the pickups either, although it may be printed on the bottom of the pups (I don't remember from when I installed them).

Here is the link to the website where you might find more information. These pups were one of the few purchases I've made entirely on strength of recommendation rather than personal experience and I have been very satisfied.

Harmonic Design and WCR both seem to disregard the D.C. resistance readings as a reliable indicators of pickup performance and after using both I tend to agree. Despite the fact that the V+ pups are wound hot, they still do a remarkable job of retaining clarity and the "glassy/bell-tone" sounds we associate with classic strat pups. I think if you are looking for a pickup that possesses classic clean sounds and also handles overdrives and fuzzes well you would be hard pressed to find a more capable pickup, although you can't really go wrong with any of the previous recommendations.

11. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

Since you are looking around for aftermarket P/Us . You owe it to yourself to check out Jason Lollars site for strat stuff.... I've tried a few of the high end pickups and these are my fave.. I use a Special in the bridge and his Alnico5 (Blondes?) in the other positions. Jason is easy to deal with as well.......

12. Greg

Greg Member

Try calling Peter Florance of Voodoo pickups. Although his humbuckers seems to be more praised around here, his strat and tele pickups are also great. He seems like a nice guy and is willing to talk to you about what you want.

I have a strat that he made (with his 60s pickups) and it's great.

13. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

Personally, I'm really happy with the Fender '57/'62 pickups I put in my MIM Strat. They have the classic Strat sound down. I used to change pickups in that guitar all the time until I tried the '57/'62s. And they are relatively cheap too, which is a bonus. It is easy to demo them too, because they come stock on the RI '57 and RI '62 Fender Strats.

14. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

what are you going for? the 50's strat sound or the 60's sound. very different IMO.

50's sound... ash body, maple neck, alnico 2 mag pickups

60's sound... alder body, rosewood neck, alnico 5 mag pickups

it depends on what your after.

15. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

I think a person should also consider the new Bill Lawrence L200S
    especially if you need noiseless.

Thanks, Ed R.

16. eric-d

eric-d Member

I guess you could say the Fat 50's aren't high-end, but I love them.... But I'm sure there's better out there.... I can't wait to get a 65 Relic!! :D

17. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I had Fender Fat 50s installed in my masterbuilt Strat, and I replaced them with Fralin vintage hots. The Fralins kill the Fat 50s. No contest. I also have Fralin vintage hots in my '80s US Std. Strat--those pickups saved that guitar.

Yeah, I like Fralins. :) Although I'd be tempted to try some other boutique pickups, I can't think of any good reason to. The Fralins are that good.

Jeff

18. 1964

1964 Member

The new alnico 5 KeyStone by Bill Lawrence Strat set has been favourably compared to the likes of Fralins (!) by owners of both, so don't be put off by the low price. They're quiet for true single coils too.

19. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I have Fralin Blues Specials in two strats, one with a baseplate in the bridge, the other with the SP43. I really love these pickups for their clarity, bloom, and complete tone. They just sound fantastic.

I'm planning on replacing the pickups in my new Legacy, but can't decide what to do. I could get Fralin's again, but would like to try something new. Right now I'm considering the WCR's (when they are for sale again), the Suhr v60lp's, or Lollars.

I am following this thread intently.

20. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Has anyone had a chance to compare Fralins to Lollar or Harmonic Design?