Recommend me the best acoustic for recording

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tjmicsak, Jan 21, 2012.

1. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

I had an Ovation Celebrity that eventually the neck lifted beyond repair (these I was told are epoxy and cannot be reset) so that guitar went away recently. Now I need a proper replacement as a steel string acoustic.
    While I would live to dump a couple grand on a Taylor KOA, that just isn't going to happen right now.
    So what are my options for a great guitar for use in recording typical acoustic parts?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Best bang-for-the-buck around is to find a used Larrivee L-03. These are called the Recording Series guitars, which mean they have a semi-gloss finish. However, they are all solid wood, handfitted dovetail neck joints, and the "L" shape sounds great no matter where or what mics are used. You can find them for $800-900 used, and north of $1200 new with a lifetime warranty.
    Absolutely killer.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The bang for buck instrument is a pre WW II Martin.

However, they are expensive.

So are the early AJ's.

There are used AJ's in the 12-1500 bracket.

I love a great sounding Gibson.

Better than a Martin.

4. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

A mohogany 000 or OM size guitar. Perfect for recording as they are dry and direct sounding, and one can tart up the sound with the "processing du joir" if and when desired.

5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I get my best results with a 000 size. Mahogany or rosewood. A decent one can be recorded flat and the sound is there. D's, which I really like in the room, always need eq adjustments to get the goods when recording.

Caveat, limited experience with 00 and smaller.

hunter

6. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

:agree Any of the Larrivees to me fit the bill. They record really well, too. I have a D-03R that sounds fantastic - the low end isn't as boomy as a lot of dreadnaughts, and it has tons of sparkle. Fits right where ya need it to, sonically. And they have excellent playability. They can be found very reasonably as well.

7. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

:agree
    I also have a D-03R, an absolutely beautiful sounding acoustic. Every time I visit the music store I pick up a Larrivee and find each and every one is consistently great sounding regardless of the price range.

After trying out Gibson, Taylor and Martin acoustics I decided that Larrivee's tone was heads above the others.

8. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I like all the other majors too, but across the board find Larrivees to have tons of interesting overtones that mics capture very easily.

9. dereksee

dereksee Member

My 2c is either a Taylor 114 or GS Mini.

10. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

The L-03 or a Martin 000-15... in either case, I'd go used.

11. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

all good suggestions.

I would recommend sticking with a smaller guitar if recording is your main application. larger (dreadnaught) guitars tend to be tougher to record due to boominess.

that said, I have a Taylor 510 dread that records very nicely, partly because mahogany is less boomy, and also because Taylors tend to be more balanced across the frequency spectrum than Martins or Gibsons.

if you want a fantastic bang for the buck OM sized acoustic, I would try to find a used Recording King RO27. These are Chinese-made Martin copies with all solid wood construction, scalloped bracing, one-piece necks, bone nut and saddle. The only downside is cheap tuners, but that's a $40 fix.

also, if you can find an Eastman dealer, they are terrific values as well (also Chinese made).

btw, the Chinese stuff won't be cheap for long, so now is the time to buy.

12. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Been a long time , but I remember the smaller Martins( smaller than D size) being easier for engineers to mic as a few have said, since they have a less boomy bottom end.

But just about all Martins sound excellent to great to me, including the D size.

On the MUCH lower end of the scale I happened to be in Sam Ash Miami about a week ago checking out some Les Pauls and a man asked me what I thought of a Yamaha acoustic he was about to buy for $150. new and it was light as a feather ( ? ), good intonation and had an excellent sound for a Student type Guitar-though definitely not in the league with Martins and Taylors etc.