Recommend me.................

fridgit

a good OD pedal for my SF Princeton (no reverb). I love the sound of my amp, but I am looking for a pedal that will give me a nice OD and maybe even a boost. I am looking for something warm but transparent. Also something great for blues to rock to alternative country.

I've tried a Boss Bluesdriver, but it's a little to "buzzy" and kinda muffled sounding - made my notes sound thin and buzzy.

Do they make something that will take care of all that, or am I dreaming?

Price is no obstacle, so feel free to chime in with whatever you got!!!

Thanks!!!

hamstrat

I'm not sure there are too many overdrives that are really transparent. Maybe you really want a boost? If not, you may want to try a Fulldrive II. The overdrive has a lot of sounds and it has a separate boost. That being said I wouldn't say the overdrive is transparent. I don't think I've ever heard a transparent "overdrive". Then again there is a lot out there that I haven't tried.

eric-d

The FDII's boost isn't separate. You have to have the OD "channel" on first to use the boost function AFAIK.

This thread will be way too many recommendations...

I'd recommend finding a good music store and sit down and try as many drive boxes you can get you hands on.

get a feel for what works and doesn't. With some trying out, you might find a few that is heading in the direction you want.

Too many people have too many opinions on a subject so wide in options. Its like asking whats the best color to like...

espcially on a site like this where boutique builders have a good following. There are literally hundreds of different drive boxes and every one has their purpose and each can produce a sound someone can recommend.

The easiest way to overdrive bliss is to try out everyone you can get your hand on, or find a player you admire and see what they might use. Its a good starting point at least.

bwc3000

Try the HBE Uno Mos, which is a booster. I get great results with my silver face Champ and my Les Paul. Also try the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. It pushes the amp nicely and you can adjust the level of break-up really easily.

hamstrat

The FDII's boost isn't separate. You have to have the OD "channel" on first to use the boost function AFAIK.

You are absolutely right! I set the overdrive side about 9 o'clock so I treat mine more like a boost, which is set about 1 o'clock.

burner

a good OD pedal for my SF Princeton (no reverb). I love the sound of my amp, but I am looking for a pedal that will give me a nice OD and maybe even a boost. I am looking for something warm but transparent. Also something great for blues to rock to alternative country.

I've tried a Boss Bluesdriver, but it's a little to "buzzy" and kinda muffled sounding - made my notes sound thin and buzzy.

Do they make something that will take care of all that, or am I dreaming?

Price is no obstacle, so feel free to chime in with whatever you got!!!

Thanks!!!

I've been lucky enough to have access to many great overdrives to try out, even a lot of 'boutique' pedals.
However,believe it or not there are two el-cheapo pedals that just sound better to me:

1)The Boss Super Overdrive
I've used these for many years and even though I've experimented with others,I always come back to them.
I recently picked up a "New" issue Taiwan SD-1 thinking that is would be a turd, but it really sounds as great as my old ones.
It had more than enough boost and the overdrive is smooth with just barely enough grit.
With the tone control set at about 11:30, it doesn't really add too much of anything negative to my tone. (running a Li'l Dawg 25 watt 5E3) They also have a decent dynamic content that cleans up when you roll your volume back.
I've used these with many vintage Fenders and with my old Laneys & Marshalls live and they just "do it" for me, regardless of what guitar I use.Though I mostly play Stratoascters.

2)The Guyatone OD2 (not OD2+)
If ever-o-whever there was a "tube screamer", this is it!
IMO, it does the TS-9 sound....better than the TS-9 but they are cheap and not made very well.
The downside to the OD-2 is that they do indeed add their own character to your sound....but it ain't a bad one.
If you're down with the tubescreamer thang,check these out.
-The newer OD2+ may be good as well but I haven't tried one out yet.

Admittedly there are still quite a few pedals that I want to try but haven't yet and there is always a new one on the market.Maybe eventually I'll find one I like better
Sometimes it sounds wierd trying to tell people that this little crappy pedal is better than the fulltones,hotcakes,..etc.
But....looking through everything I've been able to try out so far (list is too long) with money no object,I still look two those two particular pedals
As always YMMV........

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
I have that amp, and it can be midrangey, so I don't like overdrives with it. I like a full-range boost, and this seems to quckly overwhelm the amp's input and you get a lot of overdrive out of the amp's tubes themselves. Without excessive midrange (Ibanez) or thinness (Boss.)
A Treble-Booster works nicely, too.

fridgit

I'm not sure there are too many overdrives that are really transparent. Maybe you really want a boost? If not, you may want to try a Fulldrive II. The overdrive has a lot of sounds and it has a separate boost. That being said I wouldn't say the overdrive is transparent. I don't think I've ever heard a transparent "overdrive". Then again there is a lot out there that I haven't tried.

I guess "transparent" may be the wrong term (subjective).

Truly I want something that won't muddy up my sound, steal bass or tone from my sound, and isn't weak and thin.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Please feel free to add more!

Truly I am looking to this forum as a starting point, since I really don't know a lot about what's out there. I will definitely get out and try as many of these pedals as humanly possible.

That said, thanks again!
:AOK

Dandy13

I have that amp, and it can be midrangey, so I don't like overdrives with it. I like a full-range boost, and this seems to quckly overwhelm the amp's input and you get a lot of overdrive out of the amp's tubes themselves. Without excessive midrange (Ibanez) or thinness (Boss.)
A Treble-Booster works nicely, too.
I have this amp as well and agree with this post. My favorite pedals for overdrive with this amp:
Bad Bob Boost
AM Beano Boost
Carb
not necessarily in that order

Trending Topics

Top Bottom