Recommend new speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sacredgrooves, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Sacredgrooves

Sacredgrooves Member

Soldano Hot Rod 50 Plus 212 combo partially open-backed. It has the stock x-12000 (labeled Soldano but think they are eminence?)

I like the tone I get from the amp, but have had it for years and want to experiment with speakers. I usually play around the house at lower volumes, but do jam with a drummer friend on some Kiss, VH, Maiden type stuff, and also a big Lynch fan so tone in that sound spectrum is what I am after. Punchy, but something to manage the highs on this beast. What do you suggest and why? :beer

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I'd try a Celestion Vintage 30 first.
    It does have an upper mid spike, but rolls of the high end sizzle.
    Also recommend the Celestion G12 65 which is one of Celestions darkest speaker, but still has clarity and punch.
    A Scumback M75 65 watt will also sound great.

3. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the M75 65 watt. I just installed one in a 1x12 cab this week. Initial impressions - less efficient than the Celestion Golds I use - 97db vs 100db, darker sound but very articulate and rich. Nails the 'classic' speaker sound for Zep & Hendrix [I'm using a plexi clone]. Jim @ Scumback hits the 'Pre Rola' Celestion sound. Tamed a bright Tele nicely.

Rivera does speaker shootouts. You may find a tone you are looking for -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Russ

4. nevismusic

nevismusic Member

First you may want to read this https://nevismusic.wordpress.com/20...-and-before-you-plug-in-those-v30s-read-this/

A couple paragraphs in I talk about the impact of speaker choice with Soldano amps. Lots of topics on the forum too but basically try to take into account the fact that v30s and similar speakers weren't around when Soldano was designing his amp so they aren't voiced around them and might not be a good fit if you want a warmer sound. Warmer speakers like 1265s and green backs were.

My suggestion is to consider the Weber silver bell and legacy. Big low end, fat mids and soft highs, lots if texture. Other high powered greenbacks will work too (like cream backs and lynch backs) the Webers are just my choice. Cleaner flatter response speakers like Evms work well too.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

These currently would have my interest.
    [​IMG]

Thread about them.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1514395&highlight=Steamboat&page=2

"If you like the G12-80 and Tone Tubby Hemp cones, I think this speaker will be right up your alley! I've tried a lot of speakers and its really what I've been looking for: efficient, smoothness of hemp without losing the treble, the tight punchy bass you'd expect from an H-size magnet, 100w power-handling without the speaker being too dark or hifi, balanced mids (not scooped like a Jensen, not piercing like a V30)."

6. Sacredgrooves

Sacredgrooves Member

Great article, that had to be quite the experience getting to spend some time there! With a higher wattage speaker playing at typically lower volumes, would I run into not being able to push it enough? Forgive the noob question, I always just bought what I liked and played it without digging into the "how and why". Thanks for the advice everyone, you gave me some direction for research.

7. nevismusic

nevismusic Member

Thanks, glad it helped! I can totally relate because it took me a while years ago to figure out what was going to work for me! And yes it was an awesome experience! They're super nice people at Soldano and it was one of the coolest music related experiences I've had.

In my opinion, even if you're not going to be pushing the amp, I'd still suggest getting speakers that at least match the wattage of the amp (if not exceed it). The speakers made today, particularly those with more texture/color, will sound great at high and low volume. I've done everything from outdoor festivals with 100 watt amps on 7 to late night noodling with the master at less than 1 and can get good tones at any levels with my Webers (but of course being a guitarist I prefer it loud :D ) and just adjust the presence higher for low volume (my speakers are pretty warm/fat)

If you're still unsure about which speaker is for you, I'd suggest going with the overall tone you want from the speaker/amp tone combination first and then contacting the speaker builders for suggestions according to how you'll be using the amp. Most of the smaller builders are happy to help and have lots of info on their sites that may help you out as well.