Recommend Output Transformer for Marshall JCM 800 2204

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by HaggertysMusic, Feb 6, 2012.

1. HaggertysMusic

HaggertysMusic Member

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Hammond,Heyboer,MM,Drake,Dagnall,Mojotone.

Are you upgrading or just replacing a broken one?
    I don't think there will be any improvement,maybe slightly different tone.

3. HaggertysMusic

HaggertysMusic Member

The old OT is history unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

Dagnall is history as well. Magnetic Components a/k/a Classic Tone may be able to help, their stuff is very good and moderately priced.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Mercury and others offer rewinding services...but it might be cheaper to just get a replacement if you don't care that much about the originality of the amp...

6. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

7. neteraser

neteraser Member

Moderately priced???? they're dirt cheap! where do you get iron for that price! i'm not talking about transformers :)

8. HaggertysMusic

HaggertysMusic Member

Ok, so am I totally off base assuming that a $100 transformer will have to sound slightly better than a $50 one?

:dunno

Am I just falling for the more expensive is better mentality?

9. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

There is always a price point beyond which you enter the area of diminishing returns.
    Looking at transformers of roughly same physical size, winding ratios and cosmetics one can assume cost of materials differs by around 20% between various manufacturers, unless they use some esoteric core laminations like high nickel content Permalloy - which I haven't seen in decades. We can discuss winding sectioning but for guitar amps it's usually between 3 and 7 sections, 5 being sort of a norm. So there can't be that much difference in labor cost if manufactured where the website says they're manufactured. Unfortunately this info will have to be put under scrutiny. Just a few weeks ago I witnessed a friend open a package with expensive OTs from a high-end manufacturer, sent to Sweden from US. Inside the box transformers were carefully wrapped in several layers of bubble foil and newspapers. The newspapers were Chinese dated a month earlier. Makes one wonder...( I know there Chinese language newspapers ppublished in the US, these were from China)
    So you have price spread from 55$ to well over 200$. I would say go with an established manufacturer whose prices are somewhere in between the extremes.

10. HaggertysMusic

HaggertysMusic Member

Thank you. Good advice, and exactly what I'll do.

11. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

I've had good experiences with the ClassicTone stuff. I'm not sure you can beat it, for the money.

12. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Ive recently used classic tone for a PT and many Are reporting good results with their OT which Are very reasonable.

My favorite plexi transformer is by www.merrenaudio.com but I also agree at some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Marstran's heyboar winds are very good as well

Www.marstran.com

13. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

I've also had good experience with them and am not sure you can beat them. Oh, and the price is excellent.

They sell transformers, lams and windings, not mojo and marketing.

14. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

Agreed -- if price was no option, I'd still consider ClassicTone for an 800 OT. Now if it were a Plexi or JTM OT, I might be more apt to look at some other options, just for vintage-accuracy.

15. dazco

dazco Member

I'm a tone fanatic and i build my own amps and tweak them endlessly. In the 2204 circuit i've use heyboer, magnetic components and hammond and i'll tell you right now, there are many other small things i find make a bigger difference. People may say a different OT changed thier amp to the good in a big way if the one they replaced was out of spec or otherwise damaged or was just a really lousy one. But replacing it with any known good brand will be fine, and while there will be small differences no one here can tell you which you'll prefer. Nor will it likely be enough to worry about it.

That said, i prefer the magnetic components over the heyboer and hammond i also tried. The heyboers (actually tried 2 of those) sounded ok but thinner. The hammond was slightly less rich sounding, and the mag comp sounds perfect. Misses nothing and everything is in balance. Also dirt cheap. So thats the way i'd go. If you buy into the mercury hype you will likely wish you hadn't they also sell expensive mains cable that they promise will change your like for rediculous money. (tho the price recently dropped to cheap....hmmmm....wonder why?:D)

Anyways, i'd go with mag comp. Whatever you get, chances are 99.9% after it's installed in a short time everything will sound the same to you as it did before. Just don't buy some unknown cheap junk and you'll be fine.

16. jay42

jay42 Member

I replaced the Drake in mine with a Plexi style OT and am glad I did. They're not the same...the Plexi has roughly a flat response, the 2204 has too much treble...not enough low end, midrange. A good Plexi style will have better string to string definition when cranked. Heyboer or Wallace. ymmv

17. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Quote:"tho the price recently dropped to cheap....hmmmm....wonder why?:D
    Made in china now