Recommend outstanding semi-hollows to me

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fusionshred, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

What upscale semi-hollow guitars are the epitome of this genre? Specifically looking for 24.75" scale, 1 11/16" nut. Include guitars of any price!

2. Fusionshred

Yep - I had an AS-200 shipped over from Japan after they were discontinued in the US, and I sold it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Right after that, they were discontinued in Japan as well.

:bkw

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

My Steve Anderson Electric Archie is VERY cool. It has a 14" lower bout, and is very comfortable to play. Not really a semi-hollow, though. It's fully hollow, although the solid spruce top has been left full thickness in the center area to mitigate feedback and to give the pickups something substantial to mount onto.

GREAT sounding and playing guitar!

[​IMG]

4. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

+1million on the 1981 Ibanez AS200 and the Artinger. Have had both, and both are the best guitars I've ever played.

5. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

Sadowsky semi is the best one I've had, including several 335's and Heritage 535's, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc....It really depends on what vibe you're after, since some sound more hollow/solid than others. The Sadowsky is the most hollow sounding semi I've had, but it still works for all the traditional semi type applications. The PRS hollowbody is also quite nice, I would consider it more in the semi category due to the block under the bridge, but the block is nowhere near the size of the 335 block. That gives the PRS a more "hollow" tone or airy tone if you will. I sold mine once I got the Sadowsky.

6. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

My old Yamaha SA-2000 is quite nice.

7. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

collings I-35 period

8. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Heatley Standard...they are amazing guitars. :AOK

9. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

+1 on the Sadowsky. I played 6stringjazz's and it is an amazing guitar. I play a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion and like it a lot. They usually need a good setup though as Gibson for some odd reason likes to ship this guitar with no crown on the frets(?!! ). The PRS hollowbody's are pretty nice too but have their own thing going. They are snappier with more sustain so a bit less like the traditional archtop jazz tone but more versatile for other genres.

Overall the Sadowsky is the best I've played. I would have bought yours, Robert, if I didn't already have too many guitars LOL!!

Dan

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have a Collings I-35 Standard, and that guitar is a beauty!
    Plays great, sounds great, no excessive feedback at high volumes.

I've owned a PRS Hollowbody I that was another top level instrument.

Also, had a Gibson USA Dot Neck 335 that was the finest 335 I've ever played...next to Dana Olsen's honest to God stock 1959 ES335.

S.
    j

11. Fusionshred

Nice info, guys! Thanks! I'm looking for alternatives to the Sadowsky. Just for the heck of it.... Sticking to the formula of 24.75" scale (Gibson feel), really good action, and fantastic fit and finish. Probably leaning toward something on the high end, to match all the things I get from my Suhrs.

Never came close to a Collings. Have had or played 335s, 356s (this is a possibility), Sadowsky SH, Heritages, etc.

How much better is a Collings I-35 than, say, a Heritage H555? What justifies the substantial upcharge? What other semis are in the Sadowsky range ($3,000 - 3,500.00)?

Keep 'em comin'!!!

thanks!
    Tom

12. karmadave

karmadave Member

If you can find a used Gibson '59 Historic RI ES-335 you won't be sorry. I have one, in Cherry, and it's by far the nicest guitar I've ever owned...

-KD

13. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I think my Ibanez PM120 (Pat Metheny) is amazing.

14. Doodad

Doodad Member

A Ric 381, if you can find one. And they are pricey. But, dang what a look, finish and sound.

15. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

My Gibson ES-137 Classic is beautiful looking, sounding and playing guitar. I would take it over a 335 any day and for 1k less too.

16. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

My current fat-neck 335 is a beauty - best 335 I've had. I got it after playing a Collings I-35 at Umanov's in NYC that was incredible but out of my price range! The I-35 I played was easily the best finished guitar I have ever seen. Absolutely flawless and quite beautiful to look at. Just the way the nut was polished and fit into the end of the fingerboard etc with no lumps or lines - just smooth clean finish. Awesome.

To play it was smoother than anything. The bridge pickup was very 335 but more touch sensitive. The neck pickup was smokier and warmer than a 335. I'm perfectly happy with my current 335 - I'm not really that fussy over little finish details, and this guitar sounds amazing. But as a work of art the Collings is fab. If I were looking for a "best of" 335 style guitar the Collings would be my pic.

However for the money I am delighted with my Fat-neck 335. The bigger neck and Kluson tuners make it significantly better than a regular dot-neck for me. It sounds punchier, stays in tune better and has more touch responsiveness than the regular 335. Or maybe it's just a good one!

17. HHB

HHB Member

81 Ibanez as50 , the small body ala the new gibsons, Voodoo 59 pickups and it sounds amazing

18. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I don't know if you are still looking, but I just looked at the Carvin website, and oh my god! They just put out a Gibson/PRS-style semi-hollowbody model and IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!! It's exactly what I have been waiting for from them. It really looks amazing and considering their reputation, I'm willing to bet that it sounds as good as it looks. And it looks SWEET!!

They also just put out a Les Paul-style version of their California Carved Top that looks even sweeter! :AOK

19. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love 335's and thinline Teles

20. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Get an early 80's 335 Dot R.I.
    perhaps the best playing instrument I own, and affordable by 335 standards. should come in just shy of $2000