Recommend pedal for Suhr Badger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ericprsse, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ericprsse

ericprsse Member

I recently got a Suhr Badger 18 and am looking at pedals it might work well with. I keep the amp around 4-5 on the gain knob (edge of breakup) and essentially would like a pedal that mimics how the amp sounds when the gain knob is up closer to 6-7. Using SSS or HSS style guitars..

I have a BB Preamp and PC Tim that I was using through a Mesa Lonestar previously, and they sound good but I think I can find better. The BB is a little fizzy and I find it doesn't clean up with volume knob as well, and takes away from the amps ability to do so (as it does without the pedal in front). The BB isn't as full as the amp sounds (with the gain up at 6-7) and doesn't sound as organic. Perhaps there's a pedal better suited for that, or is it asking too much to mimic the amp's higher gain settings with a pedal alone?

Recommendations?

2. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

Have you thought of using a clean boost? The kook boost is fantastic for this purpose

3. ericprsse

ericprsse Member

I figured I might get this recommendation. Seems like a popular option, but does the Koko add enough to really take the badger into lead territory if I'm only running the amp slightly dirty? That's my only concern...

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

5. D Rock

D Rock Member

I'd throw a rat in front but that's just me. Add a little grit to that beauty.

6. Dday

Dday Silver Supporting Member

I have the exact same up, running it the same way. I've been on a Menatone binge lately and found that the Red Snapper, KOTB, SUAD, and Ms Foxy Brown all work great with it and clean up well with th volume rolled down. The RS, either being pushed by a Koko Boost or eq pedal works fantastic! The only one that didn't seem to work was the TBIAC. I've also had good luck with the Marvel Drive, Kollmanation (a little low-end heavy), and Bogner Blue And Red.