Recommend Powered home recording monitor speakers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Motterpaul, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

So, I bought some JBL control ones for my computer, and one blew out within a few months (grrr), So I borrowed my studio monitors for my home computer and since I actually spend a lot of time listening here, I think I will leave them. So Ihave to replace my DAW speakers.

What do you recommend for home mixing. I do not want to spend a lot of money (up to maybe $350 used if that is reasonable). I prefer powered speakers.

2. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

First off, how's the acoustic treatment in your room?

Next, and i hate to say it, but honestly, you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel with a pair of $400 monitors, especially in an untreated room. Even really nice monitors will not translate in an untreated room.

If you haven't treated your room, honestly I would advise investing in a couple sets of good headphones and mixing on them, switching back and forth to find a happy balance.

cheers,
    wade

3. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Any thoughts on the Yamaha HS50M?

Those would be just at your price point, but no stands, etc.

5. Motterpaul

I have heard good things about HS50M Yamahas.

The Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8s also look interesting - good review.

I know its a cheap price, but I have found I can record and mix on Auratones if I have to... For me its just matter of getting used to a set of monitors. And of course, that is the "used" price since that is where I get most things.

I am not trying to create professional, competitive mixes, just demos for writing my own songs.

6. Motterpaul

I see a pair of HS50m on stands in my local Craigs List for $260

7. 3th3r

3th3r Member

Another good choice would be a pair of used KRK Rokit RP8 or RP8G2. New they go for about $500, but used they should be around your price point.
    [​IMG]

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

9. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

I've got Event ASP8's and they really get the job done. I'd been looking at picking up a set of Avantone mixcubes as a "smaller" secondary reference, but I may have to look into some of those D5's instead. The price is definitely right.

cheers,
    wade

10. Tazboy

Tazboy Member

I have a pair of the Equator D5 monitors connected to my PC. They are fantastic monitors at the introductory, direct buy price of $300. I second the recommendation of these monitors.

11. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I got a set of the Samson GT4's for $163.00 from Z Sounds. Built in 48v phantom, USB interface, small foot print, decent reviews... I like 'em so far after selling my KRK V6's and the features (usb interface, phantom, etc.) all work really well so go figure... (really looking at the Equator D5's also in the post above)

[​IMG]

12. Motterpaul

Why would speakers come with phantom power? For direct mic input?

13. mthomps

mthomps Member

I use Mackie MR5s. I like them a lot. A lot of clean headroom. References mixes I listen to sound great. There is a 0, 2, and 4 db boost on the low and highs respectivly so if you are consistently getting unbalanced mix results when listening through other systems you can experiment with these to fool yourself in to getting that frequency range lower or higher. Sub bass below 60-70hz drops out fast but it is a 5 inch woofer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  14. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I like the Tannoy Reveals. Latest ones are super cheap too. I have a pair of M-Audio CX5's. Meh.

15. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

How do you connect them to your PC? Which cable would you use?

Been thinking about buying these just for my business computer to listen to music with. Thanks

16. MSS

MSS Member

I just pulled the trigger on those D5's. Great money-back guarantee and if they sound better than my KrK's, those will go. If they don't sound as good, I can ship them back for a refund.