1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Recommend practice amp for direct recording that mutes speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shinequwa, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

I have a Fender Super Champ XD, which is a cool little amp. It bothers me that I can't record direct without being able to mute the speaker. Any recommendations for killer little amps that will allow me to get a number of great tones, be good for home practice, and also work for silent recording?

2. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

I believe with the tech21 trademarks series you can plug a short 1/4 patch cable in to the ext speaker jack ( other end not plugged into anything) & it will shut the speaker off. Then use either the xlr or 1/4 out to record.

3. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Egnater Rebel 30, H&K Tubemeister 18... There are actually quite a few out there, which is awesome!

4. Onioner

Onioner Member

Any sort of load w/ a line out and/or headphone out will work. I use my miniMASS for this far more than I use it to attenuate.

5. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

On the Trademark 60, if you use the headphone jack, the speaker is muted. Nothing else needed.

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I also have a Super Champ XD I really like and without a headphone out makes it hard to mute unless someone makes a dummy load device to plug into the speaker out jack without frying the amp. I wind up using a POD or my Roland Micro Cube. I may try recording the XD with an SM57 and covering the amp with a moving quilt to baffle it. I know they make enclosed speaker boxes but are pricey.

7. Onioner

Onioner Member

I know I'm quoting myself here, but you can find something like this for under a hundred bucks and it'll work with any amp. Seems much more practical than buying an amp because it has a built in line out or headphone tap. Plus, it's great for running a stereo or wet/dry rig. Just sayin'.

8. bobwl

bobwl Member

The VOX lil'night train you can run it without a load on the speaker tap if your using the line out/headphone jack.

Or like what onioner said, https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm $80, Weber headphone amp + 50 watt dummy load.

9. jamesie

jamesie Member

engl gigmaster 15 can do it

10. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

Thanks! I think I'll go this route.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Cube series.

jon

12. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Any Pritchard amp will do that... and it allows you to listen through the speaker and record through a line out (if you choose to do that).

13. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

Star nova does this, just unplug the speaker

14. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

Could be, I never tried headphones through it.