Recommend Road Case???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by willymod, Jul 14, 2008.

1. willymod

willymod Member

Hi All,

I've recently started looking into getting a road case for my Vox AC15. I've begun gigging, and I'd like to protect it a little more than a towel over it in the back seat of my car. I've done a little searching and found a HUGE list of Case makers.....
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=79697&highlight=road+case

But I'm a little overwhelmed by them all, and I'm not sure which ones are good quality, overpriced, not worth it, etc...

So what do you guys think? Which ones do you have? Would you recommend them? What do you like about them, what don't you like? Were they relatively expensive/cheap?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. PeeWee

PeeWee Member

I own a MacGregor road case for my 1959 Fender Deluxe. I bought it 5 years ago and it's been up and down the east coast numerous times w/o a problem. Quality build, friendly price -- great value for the money. It's best to call as they're a bit lax on responding to e-mail.

Mine is 3/8" ply with recessed locks and handles and has 4" Guitel casters, two of which are locking. This thing paid for itself on my first trip to Key West and back 5 years ago and still houses the Deluxe. Great investment.

http://www.macgregorroadcases.com/

http://www.macgregorroadcases.com/Combo_Cabinet_Cases.htm

3. willymod

willymod Member

Thanks PeeWee!

Any one else have any advise?

4. reaiken

reaiken Member

5. willymod

willymod Member

One of my friends also recommended Rock Hard. I just didn't know if I wanted to spend almost the same on the case as I did for the amp!

6. lakesider

lakesider Member

Try to find a case maker who is closer to you.

Are you moving your amp yourself? For touring I have road cases but if I'm moving the stuff myself I prefer to use a full bottom Tuki cover or Studio Slips.

7. willymod

willymod Member

I've never heard of Tuki covers before. Those are pretty cool!

8. PeeWee

PeeWee Member

Tukis are fantastic and a great deal for the cash. I've 3 of their padded covers and they've provided great protection. Not as protective as a hard case, but for local use and just general protection, they can't be beaten.

If you're not going to be a "road warrior", then the Tuki may be the way to go for your needs...well, definitely would be the way to go. If you're going to be logging some miles and your gear will be packed in a trailer, van or bus, then I'd go with a hard case as you'll need all the protection you can get. I believe that a padded cover for your AC15 would run about $72 or so whereas a road case is going to set you back in the $450 range or more. Decide what's best for your needs and go for it!

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

For local gigging, I recommend NOT getting a full blown flight case (as listed above.) They increase the weight and overall size considerably and are pretty much a pain in the butt UNLESS you leave your equipment in a trailer. Get a padded Tuki cover for $50 or so and call it a day!

10. Belmont

Belmont Member

there's dozens of case companies around and all are pretty expensive,Angstrom cases on ebay are the cheapest I've seen and they're the real deal.you should get one with 1/4" abs instead of 3/8" because it will be much lighter.If you gig a lot,or tour a flight case is necessary.

11. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Keeley is making nice flight cases now... If you want something less protective, Studio Slips makes a great clamshell bag.

12. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

If you want something between a slip cover and ATA case check out the SKB cases or the Gator cases.
    SKB cases are hard plastic cases and come with some foam you can install to fit the amp. My experience is that they are nice, functional and and the 1,000,000 mile warranty is great(they stand behind them). You may need to get some additional foam from JoAnn fabrics (or similar), they are a little chincy on the foam. I like the SKBs
    Gator cases offer some nice soft sided cases for local gigging. They are also nice, and some have pull handles. The handles have a rep for breaking, but they will also fit the bill.
    They are both in the middle price wise between a good ATA and soft cover.

For ATA, I use Tim Marsh at Xcase. They are nice cases and fair prices....
    Avoid the low cost hard cases on Ebay(NYCase...). They fall apart and aren't worth the $$.

13. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

+100
    I've bought 9 covers from Gary @ Tuki cover over the past few years--great protection for local "haul-it-yourself" gigs.

Also, it doesnt add another 30+ lbs to your amp...I can't imagine hauling a Shiva combo with a roadcase in and out of my car!:eek:

14. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

you said it exactly man...like others have said, for your needs (amp sitting in the back seat of the car on the way to the gig) the soft covers work great...AC15 is a great portable gig amp -- you don't want to lose that part of the package either...

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Anyone compare the Rock Hard cases to the Calzone stuff?
    I've been looking to get a really good road case for my JMI AC-30...

16. willymod

willymod Member

Thanks for all the input guys! I think the Tuki cover will be the best fit for my use.... and my wallet :)

17. benabloom

benabloom Member

I can. I did it for a year:jo ...Then I put that sucker in a headshell and have been looking for a used Shiva Head Road Case ever since...

FWIW I got my combo case mentioned above from Rock Hard Cases. Now its collecting dust though. Awesome Case...but 100lb + combo is not my bag.

-B