Recommend small active studio monitors please.

ripgtr

I just did a bunch of reading on the subject. I was thinking Adam and then KH120. After a week or two of reading comments about here and other places, I read about the APS ones. About the same price as the other. Got great reviews from people using them, who have had the others. I was not able to do an A/B with anything, no one around here carried them and, well, going out looking at speakers anyway ...
Anyway, I got them about a month ago REALLY like them, clear, not harsh.
I got the smaller ones, I'm not doing bass heavy stuff and not using them all that loud, it is a 10x10 office/studio, but they really sound great. Have more than enough bass for me.

Denzil Dexter

A school friend of my sons has a pair of Behringer Studio 50USB

He says they sound very good.
The specifications sound good.

Last edited:

slayerbear17

I use these along side my Alesis 720DSP. I find mixing on smaller speakers at night gives me less ear fatigue and I check the mixes in the morning or day after on the bigger woofs.

RevDrucifer

I’ve been using a pair for Yamaha HS-5’s for several years. I had to add a subwoofer to fill out the low end, but I got the HS-5’s for around $300 for the pair (used). At this point, I’m so used to how they sound that I’m nervous to upgrade.

I’m in a 12x12 room and have no volume issues, they’re plenty loud enough. It’s actually half my guitar rig as well, since I’m all AxeFX these days. They aren’t what I’d choose for listening, but for mixing work, I really dig ‘em.

the29band

Supporting Member
I have heard good things about the IK iloud micro. I might pick up a pair myself as a 2nd pair. I have the HS7.

Denzil Dexter

Thanks for the replies.
I took a punt on a pair of the Behringer Studio 50USB.
Should arrive end of this week.
Will post my thoughts when we have had a play with them.

Denzil Dexter

They arrived earlier unboxed and ready to listen to when I’ve had a espresso and look at the instructions.

I just put these on a old pair of Partington Dreadnought speaker stands in my

listening room connected up to my Mac Mini J River music server via USB and played a load of different music through them for the last few hours.
CD quality and DSD and Hi Res files.
To say I’m impressed would be a understatement.
These are absolutely amazing sounding little speakers that can go very LOUD if needed.
They have far exceeded my expectations for a pair £105 active studio monitors .
This pair will be off to my sons studio and I’ll be ordering another pair for the one here.
I can’t wait to try the other connections in a couple of weeks when the new floor and desk is in.

Last edited:

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Oh my this is timely! I've been getting by with just my AT headphones for casual recording, just guitars and vox, but wanted inexpensive monitors for decent playback and mix check. The price is right where I need em to be! Thanks for pulling the trigger and reporting back!!! Off to Sweetwater et al to check ... :)

Edward

Alan Dunn

Yamaha HS50. Jack of all trades expert at none. I have been using them for 8 years now and highly recommend them as a monitor / low volume playback setup.