Recommend some 60's psychedelic/garage rock

NashSG

This is one my favorite deep Garage 45s. I know it from the first Back from the Grave comps.

Home boys from Frankfort, Indiana in '66.

Echo Are

A little known suburban garage band from Bloomfield, NJ called Saturday's Garbage. Pardon my ego, but I'm playing drums on this record. This was my 60's garage band. It was never released on anything but an acetate. I have one of the only copies left in existence. It was later released on the comps, Attack Of The Jersey Teens and Mindrocker, Volume 8.

We actually sounded much better than this record! We had only been together as a band for a month when we cut this at a crappy studio in East Orange, NJ. We have been written up in two exhaustively produced books on 60's garage bands. Not bad for a bunch of geeks from NJ.

I have this album, it's killer. I got my copy at my local Tower Records, all of places. DrumBob, how was your band's song recorded? It sounds like one microphone for everything, and that the bass player's amp was closest to it.

S. F. Sorrow

I can't believe someone posted "Spazz." Most tasteless record ever. I play it on my radio show once in a while.

"People gonna think, yes they're gonna think, people gonna, people gonna think you're a spazz!"

Even my wife thinks it's funny.

I've been wanting to cover it during quarantine. It's not ok but that's why it's great?

I covered Spazz at a Nuggets-fest several years ago. The chorus is so odd it’s not easy to sing.

Third Bardo - I'm Five Years Ahead Of My Time

Covered this song too!

DrumBob

I have this album, it's killer. I got my copy at my local Tower Records, all of places. DrumBob, how was your band's song recorded? It sounds like one microphone for everything, and that the bass player's amp was closest to it.

That was 1967 and sorry to say, I really don't remember how we were recorded. It was the first time any of us had ever been in a recording studio. We were all 15 and 16 years old at the time. I think there were a couple overheads and maybe one mic near the drums. The singer had his own mic, I'm sure. The singer and I still keep in touch, and I'm still friends with the organ player, who now lives in Venice Beach, CA. We had a lot of fun in that band, until two members were busted for bringing weed to school. The parents broke it all up after that. We've been written about in two books, Teenbeat Mayhem and Fuzz Acid & Flowers. We were never the most popular band around, because we stayed away from Top 40 commercial stuff, and soul music, but we are the only band from Bloomfield, NJ that's been remembered from that time in music history. We usually played 2-3 gigs a month and got $100-125 for the whole band, so we'd end up with $20-25 each, a nice chunk of money as a teenager back then. It gave me cash to buy records, Fillmore East tickets and take girls out. '66-69 was a great time to be a teenager in a rock band.

Top Bottom