Recommend some acoustic tunes?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Michael6120, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Michael6120

Michael6120 Member

Hey guys, can you recommend me some acoustic tunes to check out? looking to learn something that stands up on its on just acoustic guitar.. stuff such as Blackbird, Tears In Heaven etc... At that kind of difficult and beyond. Thanks

2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

3. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

Mood For A Day ~ Steve Howe ( a classic )
    Embryonic Journey ~ Jorma ( jefferson airplane )
    Ripple ~ The Grateful Dead
    Bird Song ~ Jerry Garcia
    Run For The Roses ~ Jerry Garcia
    Looks Like Rain ~ Bob Weir

Many Dylan ( knockin' On Heaven's door ) and Neil Young ( heart of gold ) tunes as well as Acoustic versions of things like The Verve ~ Bitter Sweet Symphony and ( acoustic ) Live songs like "Lightning Crashes" or "Dance With You" etc... A lot of music can stand up with a box gtr... From Heather Nova to Mostly autumn to whatnot... or whonot?! You might not have heard some tunes like Mostly Autumn's "Evergreen" or "Simple Ways".. but they are brilliant on a box and especially with a woman who can sing them justice... beautiful stuff.

There's more and more and more... but it's what you like that can be found... over time. Checking if there's any acoustic versions ( usually live ) of songs you like works...

4. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Diamonds on the Inside
    Nobody Knows You (when you're down and out)
    Sweet Pea
    Mary Jane's Last Dance
    Old Man
    Fire and Rain

5. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Two more played by the same artists: Mother Nature's Son and Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out.

6. muzishun

muzishun Member

Do you mean instrumental?

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

If instrumental then there's 2 Tommy Emmanuel pieces I love:

Mombasa
    Angelina

8. JonR

JonR Member

If it's songs (that you're going to sing), the list is endless. Just look beyond rock music. Almost anything by Dylan or Neil Young, e.g.

If it's instrumentals - that really do "stand up on their own on just acoustic guitar" - that's trickier.
    Tommy Emmanuel is a good source for challenging pieces.
    I would go for Bert Jansch, whose instrumentals range from moderately simple to fiendishly challenging.
    Then there's Davy Graham, John Renbourn, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Adrian Legg, Michael Hedges, Stefan Grossman...

Dammit, just google....
    http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-acoustic.html
    ... although I have to say it's a crime that only one Jansch tune is on there, and Casbah at that (OK, but not his best). Check this out:

9. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Fist of all, do you have Little Wing on your list yet? Everyone has to have this tune in their pocket... acoustically, this tune surprises everybody.

Instrumental only or are you also a singer? If you're a singer, you sort of have to select within your range. Otherwise, when I get into my muse, I play (any of many) Santana tunes on my D-35 and typically see the eyebrows go up all over the room.

As a sure bet, I play Mood for a Day by Steve Howe and then I transition to some variations of Satriani's stuff.

10. Phletch

Phletch Member

If you're feeling really ambitious, try Steve Howe's "Clap". There are some clips that show him doing it live, albeit not as "clean" as this early performance, and there are some tutorials on Y/T also.

And don't forget about making your own arrangements of songs you like and adapting them for solo play. I did an arrangement of Lorde's "Royals" (no, I didn't sing, LOL) that's very basic yet effective (imo, of course). I also did the theme to the old TV show, "Welcome Back Kotter", written by John Sebastion. They're both on my Soundcloud if you're looking for some ideas.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  11. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I like to do unexpected songs solo acoustic. Though I don't have the vocal range for it, Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke sounds surprisingly complete with just an acoustic guitar for example.

12. JonRock

JonRock Member

13. JonRock

JonRock Member

14. derekd

derekd Member

From The Beginning - ELP
    Gimme One Reason To Stay - Tracy Chapman
    Don't Know Why - Nora Jones (check Pat Metheny's version)

I've also done Michelle, Desparado, The Look of Love, Overjoyed, in the past. These were arranged chord melody style.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  15. JonRock

JonRock Member

16. JonRock

JonRock Member

Dont forget the approx 2.7 trillion instructional vids out there

17. Phletch

Phletch Member

So true. It would be good if the OP got back to us and clarify that. Being the front man in a power trio, I make it a point to be comfortable going solo on acoustic with vocals playing any of our songs. If you can sing, the possibilities are only limited by lack of imagination.

guitarjazz likes this.