• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recommend some Big Band/Swing music...

rob2001

So i'm driving home from work today and I hit the "search" button on the radio. I came across a station playing Big Band and swing. Now, i'm an old school rock guitar player but i've always loved different music. Well, this music had me boppin down the highway like a kid with his first Beatles record!

I was totally digging the music as well as the lyrics. Like a strange sense of irony... "I'm screwed but i'm happy as a clam anyhow"!!

Pops was all about Glen Miller so I know to look there. I like The Brian Setzer Orchestra too so I know what he's about. Can anyone recommend some Big Band music?? Scat?? Swing?? Doesn't have to be old either...i'll bet there are current bands that adhere to tradition.

Thanks in advance, Rob

roadfilm

Toshiko Akiyoshi Lew Tabakin Big Band. They were popular in the 1970's and 80's. Superb big band music with a modern twist.

cadduc

i am playing in a big 22 piece band now thru the local adult school
just been doing it for a few months but it is a hoot
last time i did this was 40 years ago in hi school

artie shaw
count basie
duke ellington
gene krupa
buddy rich
sinatra
crosby
don piestrup (sp)
stan kenton
cab calloway
louis armstrong
benn goodman
woody herman
tommy and jimmy dorsey

there are a bunch more

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
For a cool/weird twist on it, check out The Cherry Poppin' Daddies "Zoot Suit Riot".

GAD

edgewound

For more modern artists...

Harry Connick, Jr., Michael Buble`

My favorite Big Band record is

Live at the Sands, Frank Sinatra with the Count Basie Orchestra, 'bout 1965...awesome!

JLaps

For more modern artists...

Harry Connick, Jr., Michael Buble`

My favorite Big Band record is

Live at the Sands, Frank Sinatra with the Count Basie Orchestra, 'bout 1965...awesome!
Live at the Sands is such a great album, just "discovered" it about two weeks ago.

Dennis E.

Gold Supporting Member
Some favorites include:

Buddy Rich "Mercy, Mercy, ..."

Buddy Rich "Big Swing Face ..."

Maynard Ferguson ... "Live at Jimmy's"

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis "Consumation"

Have fun! :eek:
Dennis E.

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Toshiko Akiyoshi Lew Tabakin Big Band. They were popular in the 1970's and 80's. Superb big band music with a modern twist.

Yup, great stuff.

Aside from the canonical greats already listed in cadducs post, Thad Jones and Mel Lewis are up there as well.

cameron

Also, don't get too hung up on big bands only. Some of the smaller post-war bands are worth checking out as well. Exhibit A: Louis Jordan and His Tympani Five

shark_bite

Ray Charles + Count Basie Orchestra - Ray Sings, Basie Swings. Neat record, and there's a great story behind it.

Pale Rider

Gold Supporting Member
Benny Goodman-specifically recording with Charlie Christian-
I can't believe no one has mentioned these-
Live at Carnegie Hall-or any Charlie Christian recordings

shredhead7

I love swing jazz, probably my favorite type of music. The best primer to that, is to rent from your library, JAZZ, the documentary by Ken Burns. Discs 2-5 are AMAZING!!!! Disc 2 is classic jazz (Louis Armstrong and focuses primarily on him) at the end of disc 3 and all of 4 you get into Swing.

The Ken Burns selected songs are great, great intro's to each artists music. My personal favorites (again all would be referenced as Ken Burns on Amazon):

1. Billie Holiday
2. Benny Goodman
3. Artie Shaw
4. Count Basie
5. Louis Armstrong (though most of it is classic, N.O style)
6. Duke Ellington (though his is more like a symphony orchestra with his arrangements/composing)

Trending Topics