1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend some easy playing strings for my jazz bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Triocd, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

I'm a guitar player but I found myself playing bass guitar in a band. I never practice bass except when we're all practicing together.

I have a standard jazz bass and I'm looking to make it as easy to play as possible. Any specific recommendations that will work with this instrument? Brand/gauge/flat vs round wound?

Thanks

2. Luva

Luva Supporting Member

Hmm, I need more info to give you a good suggestion. But, if your primary string selection criteria is "easy to play", than it's hard to beat a good set of La Bella flat wounds. Go with a light gauge to make them even easier.

Glad to hear that you are starting with a Jazz and not a Precision bass. I would guess that you would find a J neck much easier to navigate than P neck.

You probably know this, but most musicians select strings based on the type of sound they are going after. Comfort or ease of playing is usually a distant third or fourth level on the string selection criteria. But, your bass, your decision.

Triocd likes this.
  3. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I've played bass for 30 years and I've tried plenty of strings. The Dunlop Super Brights are FAR AND AWAY the easiest playing strings I've ever used. Their tension is low, and they have a wonderful easy feeling under your fingers. They're named Super Bright but I don't think that's entirely accurate. Maybe a hair brighter than some but no where approaching sizzling. They are very rich and balanced to my ears. Lots of buzz over at Talkbass when these were introduced. They've earned a legion of loyal fans, me included.

edro, Fishyfishfish and Triocd like this.
  4. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

Thanks Luva and fret less for the replies. I wish I knew what sound I was looking for but at this point I can't quite say yet. Some songs we play I like a bright and crisp sound, others sound better dull and thumpy to my ears. I'm usually on the brighter end of the spectrum though.

I'll look closely at both recommendations but I'm leaning towards the super brights because they sound closer to my typical sound.

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Decent set-up/adjust for comfortable action and light strings .040-.100 , roundwound.

soundchaser59 and fretless like this.
  6. Luva

Luva Supporting Member

If you need a bright sound at times, I would not go with a flatwound string. As you know, it's much easier to take away the higher frequencies with a tone knob when using a brighter string setup than going the other way.

edro and eigentone like this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I like GHS Pressurewounds on my Jazz. Kind of a very mellow Alloy 52 round wound with a pressure wound wrap to reduce finger noise and make it easier on your fingers and the frets. Gauge is personal thing as far as tonality vs feel but they do come in several different gauges.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Pressurewound_c_1811.html

JiveJust and bard2dbone like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

TI Jazz Rounds are very smooth feeling, far more like flats but they are true round wound strings with a very nice slinky feel to them. They sound great and last a long time.

nodepression likes this.
  9. nodepression

nodepression Member

For flats I would recommend TI Jazz Flats.

Round wound, I would recommend DR Pure Blues.

Hard to beat the tone of either, and I would describe the feel of both as " soft ".

By the way, don't let the price of the TI Jazz Flats run you off. They last for years.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Here are a couple of recorded examples of TI Jazz Rounds from a gig I did years ago.

These were played fingerstyle.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  11. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Well, the norm for 34" Fenders is 45-105. If you want easy to play, you may prefer a lighter set. Get a good set of strings and a setup with low action and you should be good. I like NYXL on my J.

12. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I'm a convert as well both for my P and Ray. The 45-105 set plays like a set of lights and feel better than Pure Blues that I swore I would never stop using. Another economical set is just the plain old nickel D Aderio nickels.

sinner and fretless like this.
  13. steve_man

steve_man Member

I found these... and they are amazing. Flatwounds, so they feel great, but have the tone of regular strings. Fantastic...

fretless likes this.
  14. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Those are legit. Flexible, and much brighter than regular flats. I did find them a little sticky, or "grabby" feeling under the fingers. Maybe it's the cobalt outer wrap is a little rough? I'm used to Chromes, which are a polished feeling flat wound. That being said I'd still recommend them highly. Great tone.

15. americananalog

americananalog Member

I'm in the same situation. I tuned down to BEAD, so much easier and I'll never go back standard.

16. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I used Pressurewounds for several years. They are good strings. Currently I use DR Sunbeams. And I'd recommend getting a fairly light gauge, like 40s.

17. woody357

woody357 Member

fretless likes this.
  18. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Member

When customers ask me about " softer bass strings" i always ask if their bass ever had a PRO-SET UP!! Most times answer is no & when i inspect their instrument, its horribly out of adjustment!! Quit being stupid- find a good tech for a pro set-up!!!!

19. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

My 3 basses are strung with TI Flats. Love ‘em!

GravityJim likes this.
  20. Brig Gen Ripper

Brig Gen Ripper Member

TI Jazz Flats are your answer. They're $70 a set but you'll be good to go for the next decade.