Recommend some easy songs to learn to finger pick?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by tomkatzz, Jun 28, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I'm learning "Blackbird." Any others?

2. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Dust in the wind, for a Travis picking style-though a little more toward the intermediate level.

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

good song lessons on fingerpicking at three chord

http://threechordguitar.com/vids.htm

He fingerpicks so do I and all songs can be played fingerpicked, just depends on how you do it.

a lot of guitarist fingerpick, Mark Knopfler, lindsey Buckingham, so any dire straits and fleetwood mac song is fingerpicked.

4. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Pink Floyd - Brain Damage

Beatles - Dear Prudence; not exactly easy, but then neither is Blackbird. There is a video which explains it quite well (would have saved me quite a lot of frustration)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpE-czgD8M8

5. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

Check out some Mississippi John Hurt...Monday Morning Blues is an excellent song to start with but they pretty much all have a driving thumb and nice melodies.

If you want a book that progresses from fairly easy through to more difficult pieces I highly recommend this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Emmanuel-Guitar-Style-Spiral/dp/0769299342

Tommy starts you out with Freight Train and Trambone but moves into some of his Beatles arrangements and Chet tunes that can be pretty challenging.

-Mark

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

babe i'm gonna leave you by led zeppelin.

7. Mark C

Mark C Member

Excellent recommendation - I have a smaller book by him and it really has helped me get started on Travis picking.

8. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

Eric Claptons Wonderful Tonight is a good song to fingerpick. The whole song is played from the one position which someone here called the Oasis "G" on another thread. The first two fingers on the left hand change but the picking pattern on the right is the same throughout more or less.

9. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

"time in a bottle" jim croce. simple and pretty. get to work.

10. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

A little more challenging but...

Bron-yr-aur - Zep (Physical Graffiti)
    Going to California - Zep
    Mood for A Day - Yes
    Midsummers Daydream - Triumph

Really challenging...
    The Clap - Yes

Beginner stuff...
    Your Time is Gonna Come - Zep
    Some of Rush's stuff on Caress of Steel or 2112...or the very easiest (but hokey lyrics/singing) "Rivendell off Fly By Night.

11. dverna

dverna Member

Street Spirit -- Radiohead

12. ndemattheis

ndemattheis Member

Bouree in E Minor - Bach

13. greeny

greeny Member

More clapton.

Hey Hey
    TEars in heaven

Both as heard on 'unplugged'

Both have enough about them to actually make them worth learning without being hard (just slightly more difficult than blackbird). And both sound great. Some songs you really struggle to make them sound like the records (for a variety or reasons), but these two really reward a little bit of effort.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Nothing Else Matters, especially the beginning, you can't get easier than that!

I disagree with Bouree. That wouldn't be something a beginner should be using to learn to fingerpick. Plenty of classical books like Carcassi (?) studies with repetitive simple patterns.

15. spectreman

spectreman Member

I didn't know Jim Morrison could play the guitar!!

16. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

I don't think Bouree would be too difficult. Good recommendation with the Carcassi studies. When I was a kid my teacher at the time got me started on that (still have the book) and some pieces by Anton Logy. A quick search brought up some PDFs:

http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/2_baroque/logy-sarabande_a_min.pdf
    http://www.delcamp.net/pdf/2_baroque/logy-menuet_do_maj.pdf
    http://www.klassiskgitar.net/logy.html

This last link, "Aria" I still play for fun and as a kid used to throw it in the middle the big guitar wankage solo spot I'd get. If you listen to the midi file, it's set at a good speed for learning it. I have some recordings of the whole suite, though, and it's played much faster there. The 2nd track "Capriccio" is a challenging one, especially at faster tempos.

17. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Bouree was my first classical piece as a kid. After three years in college as a classical major, I'd say this is more intermediate than easy. And besides, do you think the OP is aiming for classical technique? Maybe he can let us know.

18. jhvox

jhvox Member

Wow! It's $225 used on Amazon. Must be a great book.

My teacher had me do Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. It is not too hard chord wise but it really gets the fingers moving.

19. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

*shrug* My classical technique always sucked but the pieces are good for finger-picking, in any case. The problem I had is I learned to finger-pick early one in my own way with the help of a teacher. Later on when I was briefly in college as a music major, I took classical and struggled with the proper positioning all that...frustrating....but I still play the pieces in my own hackneyed way. A lot of the rock finger picking tunes mentioned earlier should be enough to keep the OP busy for awhile. Did anyone mention "Stairway to Heaven"? That's a classic for easy finger-picking.

Personally, if I were starting again, I would practice travis picking until I could coordinate the thumb basslines and other finger melodies really well. All that old Rockabilly stuff...Elvis' sun Sessions...Scotty Moore, Chet...all those guys. That would be a major boost in playing dexterity and progressing, IMO, for any finger-picking.

20. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

Man, I didn't even see that when I posted it...just read the description. I bought mine about a year ago off of Tommy's site. I just checked the cover to be sure of the title and it's this one called "Note for Note", it's the same book though.

http://www.certifiedguitarplayer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4

Mark