Recommend some headphones

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Mike M, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mike M

Mike M Member

I am looking for some headphones in the 100-150 range. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. dehughes

dehughes Member

I'm interested in this, too... I've been eyeing some Sennheiser HD280 Pros lately...

david

3. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

Hard to go wrong with AKG 240s.

Loudboy

4. fatang

fatang Member

I have Sony 7506s, Sen HD280s, Grado SR80's, Etymotic ER6s and all have their applications and none break the bank. A lot of folks dig the AKG 240 and 241 but I've not used them outside of tracking in a couple friends studios.

The set that is next on my list to try is the DT770 from Beyerdynamic. Closed back design and extended freq range.

Robert

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I like Fostex T-50s, but who cares? All you have now is a list of what people spent their money on.

6. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

HA!!!!! +1

I want to blow stoopid money on Ultrasones. For no good reason!

Wheels

7. straticus

straticus Member

I spent stoopid money ( :rolleyes: ) on the Sen 280 Pro's.

Great isolation so they work well for tracking a guitar or ? in the same room. Very comfortable, sound great. I never get the feeling where "I can't wait to rip these things freakin' off my head!" like I have with some other head phones I've used in the past.

So, while they are great for recording, they also just sound absolutely wonderful and are a pleasure to use for music listening in general.

8. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

A vote for the Sony 7506's here I have used them for over 20 years.

9. Mike M

Mike M Member

I only use them for a Boss 1180 8 track, but I do record all of my guitar in the same room. Would a good set keep the sound from clipping through the headphones or is that just that the volume is too loud?

Thanks

10. straticus

straticus Member

Depends on what the clipping is from. Is it the input into your recorder being to hot or is it the head phones? If it's the head phones, you either *really do need* a better set of phones or it's way too loud and you'd better be careful not to damage your hearing. Don't mean to sound like grandpa about this but take it from someone who knows what living with tinnitus is like.

But back to the issue at hand. If the new set of phones has better isolation than the set you have you wouldn't need to have the mix in the phones quite as loud in order to hear what the mic is picking up and what you're tracking to.

BC

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I'm not going to tell you because you didn't say please.

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Aw, c'mon. He said "thanks." We really want to know what headphones YOU use!

13. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

A very comfortable set that has a wide frequency range and produce a flat response for mixing are the Audio Technica ATH M40FS. You can get them for $70 at 8th Street Music, or for $80 at American Musical Supply. Great bang for the buck.

14. EVT

EVT Member

I use the sennheiser HD 280 pro.... I use them for recording, and referencing but, I mix through Tannoy reveal's. Working with the reveals and the senHD 280's is working out well for me.
    evt

15. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I got mine for $4 at a gas station... the little ear bud kind in the round plastic carry case. They work sweet ;)

Seriously, it depends on what you want to use them for... the best use for headphones is really tracking and/or editing (rather than mixing). In the case of using them for tracking, headphones with good isolation are a must for protecting your hearing, and for accurately hearing what you're picking up from mic placement (as opposed to bleed from the room).

I use the Extreme Isolation Headphones for tracking, and I think they do a nice job of helping me to get good mic placement quickly.

As for mixing with headphones, it's not a bad idea to "test" how your mix sounds through headphones, but you certainly don't want to mix through phones exclusively. The headphones I use as "monitors" are Sony MDR 7506's.

16. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Right now for tracking live guitars I am using some etymotics and then wearing firing range style ear protection over them. this combo gives about the best isolation I can find, and It allows me to stand in front of a blaring amp and still hear mostly only what the mic is hearing. The drawback is that with this setup it feels like the etymotics are getting shoved deep into my brain.

therefore, i'd like to get THESE instead, but they're $$$

17. Mike M

Mike M Member

When buying my Ipod this week I heard the New Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. They sounded terrific, but I really dont want to spend those kind of bucks for a set. Any others compare to the Bose?

18. sears

sears Member

You really have to listen to headphones before you buy. I listened to all of the usual Sony, AKG suspects. The Beyerdynamic DT150s I bought are comfy, non-exhausting, closed enough for tracking and accurate to my ears.