1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Recommend some Jason Isbel

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, Feb 10, 2019.

1. stevel

stevel Member

I caught - maybe it was an ACL - but a concert on TV somewhere and then just saw him again (seemed a little greyer so more recent) tonight on an Americana show.

But I've heard what - maybe 8-10 songs by him. I liked them all though. I'm out of touch with this stuff so he's probably been around for a while, so are there any albums you'd recommend - the whole catalog good, any standouts or "avoids"?

I like kind of how it's still a "band" format, and his guitarist does some really tasty atmospheric stuff - it's not in your face all the time but there's a nice slide line here, and a nice tremolo solo there, and so on. Isbel plays a little too, but doesn't overplay. What I'd call good sunday morning music. Good "storytelling" songs too.

2. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I think Southeastern is a great recording. Took me more than one listen to love it.

EricPeterson and Jonathan31 like this.
  3. Madrone

Madrone Member

I agree Southeastern is my favorite. It’s maybe a little more singer-songwriter-y than the “band” vibe you mention... you may want to check the most recent album with the 400 Unit for more of that vibe. Those might be 2 good records to start with.

4. rwmct

rwmct Member

I have seen a half dozen or more versions of "Cigarettes and Wine" on youtube, and almost all of them are good.

Some of his best songs come out of his time with the Drive By Truckers. "******** Lonely Love." "Outfit." "Dress Blues."

5. utterhack

utterhack Member

Recently made a playlist to introduce a friend to Jason Isbell. Might as well share here:

Headz will notice it's missing some great songs, and there's probably another thread for headz to appreciate "the day john henry died" and "elephant" etc etc. But hey it's also got a lot of great songs and it's meant as a "get to know this guy" primer.

EricPeterson likes this.
  6. jhumber

jhumber Member

For a live introduction (and a well-shot concert), this is great:

Similar to the post above, I made a playlist to introduce some friends to his material. Here's a few tracks I'd recommend, by album:
    Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit (2010) - Seven-Mile Island, The Blue, The Last Song I Will Write
    Live From Alabama (2012) - Decoration Day, Outfit....these are both DBT truckers songs, and benchmark live recordings for me
    Southeastern (2013) - Elephant, Flying over Water, Super 8, Stockholm
    Something More Than Free (2015) - 24 Frames, Something More Than Free, Palmetto Rose
    The Nashville Sound (2017) - If We Were Vampires, Anxiety, Hope the High Road

If you get a chance to see them live, take it. Great live band, incredibly strong vocals, and some really tasty guitar playing.

Michigan guitar and EricPeterson like this.
  7. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I can only add that he wrote this song that became the road map that defined how A Star Is Born took shape.

Southeastern and Something More Than Free should be the starting points and branch out the The Nashville Sound and then head backwards. He has one or two before Southeastern, then if you really like Jason, look at his Drive-By Truckers era work. I don’t think he’s written a bad song, but I think he gets better as he ages.

Edit to add: Go see him live!!! Jason and his band are top notch! Sadler is an awesome guitarist too!!! The House Of Blues show above is a great representation of how good they are live!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    squeally dan likes this.
  8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Watching this thread. I currently have 24 Frames, Palmetto Rose, Cover Me Up and Flying Over Water on my phone. Looking for similar songs of his. :aok

9. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

The "Live form Alabama" album is immediately post DRive By Truckers, so you get Decoration DAy, Dress Blues and others from that era. Then he had his near death experience ((Super 8) and got clean,and married and really deepened his perspective. Southeastern is just a masterpeice by any measure. I feel like 24 Frames struggled to measure up, Nashville Sound is an amazing record, but man, not much comes close to Flying over water or Elephant.

10. grind1

grind1 Member

Folks shouldn't overlook his first post-DBT album, "Sirens of the Ditch."

Some great songs (that he should still play, imo) on that one despite the spotty reviews.

808 and uberdave like this.
  11. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

Pretty much anything.
    He is a monster.

808 and EricPeterson like this.
  12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Southeastern is a masterpiece. But pretty much everything he has put out is solid. You really cant go wrong.

13. Blueskies4

Blueskies4 Member

I like his song speed trap town, has some sweet pedal steel

14. cram

cram Member

These songs to me do not have an ounce of fat on them. Not over stated and if you take away a word or verse, the song is not the song.
    My first exposure to him is this song -

Then on his solo release from a few years ago, my favorites are Elephant and Cover me up.

EricPeterson likes this.
  15. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Just to throw this out there. You may end up like me, liking his live shows, but not liking any of his albums. I've listened to them all multiple times trying to like them, but just can't get into them. If I watch or listen to his shows I like them more, not love them, but like them.

To me his songs drag on, a lot of long repeated refrains or hooks, too wordy, they just don't seem to go anywhere. I think I get into the music more when I listen to his live shows, where the albums I hear the lyrics/song more. If that makes any sense.

16. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

The only Isbell album I have is his latest. It’s so damn good.

Michigan guitar likes this.
  17. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

I just recently started getting into Isbell. I love the Nashville Sound and just downloaded Live at the Ryman. It has a bunch of Nashville Sound tracks mixed with a bunch I hadn’t heard before. But, they all make me want to dig in deeper. Gotta say I love his guitar work and Vox-y tone. Sounds great!

18. stevel

stevel Member

So I just listened to Southeastern - with those endorsements, well how could I not. These are the songs I heard. Didn't take me more than one listen to love it. Sorry to curse, but Holy F^%K. Masterpiece is an understatement.

Thank you all SO MUCH for the recommendation.

19. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Elephant almost makes me cry. What a song.

20. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I think he's an incredibly talented indiviual but I can only listen in doses as most of the stuff I've been exposed to is pretty depressing.