1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend someone to do a fret leveling job?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jollygreen, May 21, 2011.

1. jollygreen

jollygreen Member

I'm in Tulsa, but there don't seem to be any really competent craftsmen here. Unless there's someone I don't know about.

Should I be looking for someone w/a plek machine?

The guitar is a Gibson ES 335. If I have such a job done (plek or leveling), will it chip the binding off the frets?

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Shouldn't be a problem with the binding if it's done carefully & well.

Hopefully someone will chime in on advice for your area.

If not we have several good one to do it here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

3. 92Standard

92Standard Member

Can't find any here in the Charlotte area of North Carolina either. I came from Atlanta where there is a huge music scene and I was spoiled! Good luck in your search.

4. 92Standard

92Standard Member

It shouldn't chip the binding (is that what is called nibs?) I had my 92 LP frets leveled/dressed and recrowned and I still have the binding on the fret edges. Hope this helps.

5. bayside

bayside Member

I would recommend Ken @ asharpfretworks.com great workmanship and price. He's in Minnesota.

6. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

EDIT: deleted since I was, for some reason, quoting a new fret job lol

7. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Tom Keckler in Memphis Tn. He was there at the beginning of Mike Ladd's guitar center back in the 60's. He is friends with Jeff Beck and Billy F. Gibbons among many others ( Oh, get him to tell you about standing in the wings with Duane Allman when Billy G. came out on stage back in 1971 wearing Hot pants and Go-Go boots he had gotten the night before down in Macon, Georgia from Ike and Tina Turner) When it comes to working on guitars I call him..."GODFATHER"... Contact him at St.Blues Guitars from 1 pm to 3:30 pm CST time Monday thru Friday. He refretted a 59 reissue Paul I bought from MamboSons and he didn't touch the binding...And did I mention his set up work?:bow:bow:bow:bow

8. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

+1000 on getting it plek'd. Way worth it if you can afford it, but it costs around 2 to 3X a standard fret dressing.

You are wise to get references on luthiers. Most dressings I've paid for have been travesties. That's why I do them myself until the plek machine came along.

9. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I'm a PLEK fan now. I've had three guitars on the mill and a fourth is on the way. It removes the absolute minimum amount of material in the process and it's seriously precise.

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Mark Kane at Fat Sound Guitars does great work.
    He just leveled some frets on an acoustic I recently. perfect job!

11. 92Standard

92Standard Member

Hey, is that guy located anywhere near Charlotte NC? I see everyone has a recommended tech but they are all over the country. Like the OP, I'm having a real tough time finding a reputable tech. I came from Atlanta where there are hundreds of them.

To the OP.....good luck in your search finding someone near Tulsa!!!