Recommend the best 10" speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cuthbert, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Supporting Member

I have an amazing '64 Princeton reverb with a replacement speaker. I want to do it justice but need some suggestions on the best speaker for this amp.

2. surfshack

surfshack Member

a Jensen C10Q or C10N

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Weber P10Q (10A125) or C10N (10F150). They may take a little longer to break in but either will sound great in a P.R.

Tom

4. Roe

Roe Member

+1 on the weber 10a125

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Keep your eyes open for an old Jensen Vibranto or C10N with an original cone. If you feel you don't want to wait until one turns up, the Weber 10F150, without doping, would be my choice.

6. RSK

RSK Member

Had the ceramic Webers, which were great for clean sounds, but went to Emi 1028, (35watt alnico), per Tomo's suggestion, and it sounds great on both clean and pushed lead tones, especially with a Zendrive.

7. thorny64

thorny64 Supporting Member

+1 on the Webers! That is what I put in them when I replace them in the shop.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Supporting Member

For 1x10 combos I like a ceramic and for 10 I prefer Webers, a 10F125 woudl be great in a Princeton or for max bass and max clean a 10F150T (make sure if you go with the later you get the T cone...it's a much better sounding speaker IMO than the plain 10F150). If you want to go alnico the 10A125 is damn hard to beat IMO...

9. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

I have a Weber blue pup no dope (20 watts) , I always use it in combination with a green back extension 1x12 underneath - but if there was a fire and I could save only one it would be the 10" alnico it is the sweetest most tonefull 10"er imho...:)

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

I had a Weber Blue Pup AlNiCo and now I run a Weber Blue Pup ceramic with a Weber Silver Ten ceramic. Both are 20 watt with no dope. They are all very good but my favorite is the Blue Pup ceramic.

11. sideman

sideman Member

I was disappointed by the Weber AlNiCo 10s. I'd be looking at Eminence or Celestion.

12. OOG

OOG Member

Tone Tubby ceramic

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Some great suggestions here, guys, but please try to keep in mind that the difference between some of the speakers, brand new vs. well broken in, is sometimes night and day.

14. Category 5

Category 5 Member

A 10" jenson neo is great in that circuit. Also an eminence legend 1028. For Ceramic, I'd go with tone tubby. The first two suggestions are very lightweight. The neo sits between the alnico and the ceramic, tone wise.
    We use all of these speakers in our amps.

DonR

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I am a firm believer in the Scumback SA 10 M in the Princeton.I have one,it works well,has great tone and sounds incredibly good in my '65 Princeton amp,with Gibson and Fender guitars.

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

:crazyguy :rotflmao +1.

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I never really got that from the Jensen Neo. Seems to break up as easy or more easily than the alnico, with nowhere remotely near the bottom end and stronger midrange response of the ceramic. YMMV.

18. Category 5

Category 5 Member

Hey Dave,

We have found the neo is very transparent, and does not color the sound much at all. It is a 100 watt speaker, and we have experience increased headroom and nearly no speaker breakup, especially with lower power (less than twenty watts)circuits. If its breaking up early with that speaker, it would be my guess your hearing the amp breakup, not the speakers. If their is bottom in the amp, you will hear it with the neo's. Ceramics will always handle the bottom well, but it has to be in the amp. I have a TT in my 67 BFPR, but we have run that circuit through the neo's and they sounded really good (to us). As you said YMMV:) I'll have to bring one of our amps with Neo's out to one of your gigs sometime.

DonR

19. puls

puls Member

I put a weber 10F150 in my '69 Princeton & I can't imagine something that would sound better. Remember the Princeton is only 12 watts, and the ferro speaker is more efficient (louder) then the Alnico. good cleans & breaks up nicely too.

jwp

20. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

Weber 10a125's are real nice, have 3 in a Victoria 35310 Bandmaster.