Recommend the best fuzz for fast, articulate leads

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zero G, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Zero G

Zero G Member

Looking for a fuzz that will cut and is good for faster lead playing a la Eric Johnson, Guthrie Govan, Joe Bonamassa etc... I know Govan and Bonamassa don't use fuzz, but I want a lead tone that is different from the norm. I do tapping and legato fairly often as well. Should I be looking at a Tonebender? Muff? Silicon?

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I would say definitely silicon over germanium. And maybe the Skreddy Top Fuel? It kind of has the sustain and guts of a fuzz, but the articulation of an overdrive.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Muff, or the top fuel would work well.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, I'd say silicon if you do a lot of tapping/legato due to the extra gain the si fuzzes generally have. I'd recommend the MJM London II (the blue one in the newest version). GREAT fuzz, tons of gain on tap, almost too much and it is priced very decently. Check out the awesome soundbites of it (Philip Sayce):

http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/

6. oil

oil Member

Himmelstrutz gramps. Fantastic fuzz with great variety from deep creamy sustaining fuzz to bright sharp hairy distortion.

7. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Actually, Bonamassa has a Silicon FuzzFace (the grey/silver kind) on his board. He runs it into his Cat 5 Plexi only, and uses it when he plays more Zeppelin-y covers.

8. Zero G

Zero G Member

Silicon looks like the ticket, eh? A few pedals immediately come to mind: Skreddy Lunar Module, Red Witch Fuzz God II, Foxrox Hot Silicon, or I could order a custom Earthquaker Devices Hoof with all high gain silicon transistors and silicon diodes. Would love try out that MJM pedal as well...I have a Skreddy Ernie incoming, so I figure that will probably cover my Muff needs for now.

EDIT: Holy *%#! Those clips of the London fuzz are amazing! That's exactly the tone I'm after, although I want to check out the other pedals a bit more fefore making a decision. Thanks for the replies so far. :BEER

9. Zero G

Zero G Member

Ah ok, I wasn't aware. Thanks for the info!

10. In Tune

In Tune Member

A Mad Proffessor, FIRE RED FUZZ............Tis on me old wish list 4 sure.:banana

11. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Where did you find that Ernie?

12. Zero G

Zero G Member

Ordered it direct from Marc Ahlfs (Skreddy) about 3 months ago...

13. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Fulltone Soul-Bender

14. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Member

I'd say you'd really like a Muff without the midscoop...I think the top fuel is something like this, but you should ask Marc as I have no idea whats really inside the topfuel....but if its not it, Marc is the guy to set you up with the right muff.

15. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

MkII Tonebender- I'd recommend the Throbak Stonebender. I don't think of muffs as being articulate fuzzes.

17. iggs

iggs Member

18. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

19. Zero G

Zero G Member

From what I've heard so far, the silicon fuzzes seem to excel at what I'm looking for. I don't think the Muff based pedals will cut as much in a live mix. I've got my Ernie coming, so I think I'm going to get something different than a Muff type pedal. So far I'm leaning towards the MJM London II, but I still want to investigate the Foxrox Hot Silicon and Lunar Module.

20. Jazz2Punk

Jazz2Punk Member

Since you mentioned Eric Johnson, maybe check out the '70 pedal from Fulltone. Apparently he incorporated some design ideas directly from EJ's own Fuzzface.

From the website:
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
    "
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I got my hands on Eric Johnson's Blue Fuzzface that he used from "Tones" through "Ah Via Musicom" period (now owned by Ian Moore) and incorporated a few of its tonal secrets into the '70 pedal with staggering sonic results!"[/FONT]