Recommend WARM strat pickups, please!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by moo cow, Jul 4, 2008.

1. moo cow

moo cow Supporting Member

well i'm a gibson guy but i picked up a 99 usa strat not to long ago b/c i convinced myself i needed one. but i just can't get the brittleness out of the tone. i hear it in every pickup configuration and my amps, blues deville, orange tiny terror, and delta blues can't eq it out either.
    so, i really like the guitar but i need some warm pups to help eliminate the shrillness.
    any and all advice is welcomed.
    thanks

2. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I put a set of custom shop 69's in my standard. Very warm. They are "vintage" so they are not high output. Lots of low warm bass and nice highs that aren't ice pick like.

3. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

Just a friendly suggestion: use the search function and you will find lots of suggestions for good strat pickups - including warm ones. Do a search for Fralin - it seems Lindy Fralin are a popular choice amongst TGP members...

4. strat6866

strat6866 Member

i think that in general, the pups on a strat will always be brighter than an LP. when you switch guitars you really need to adjust the tone on the amp to compensate for this.

5. MSS

MSS Member

Fralin Vintage Hots or CS 69's..........both great sounding single-coils with a nice warm tone.

6. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Moo Cow, you are begging for a set of Harmonic Design Vintage Plus.

http://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/strats.html

The bridge pickup in this set is very useable by itself, but if you want a bigger bridge sound, substitute one of their Super 90s. I guarantee you'll be a happy camper.

7. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Low output pickups set low I fiind to be the best for me.

Have you lowered the ones in there already?
    If not give that a try, you just might be pleasantly surprised.

It will get warmer with greater clarity.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. Amplite

Amplite Member

I totally agree.
    But try a set of Lollar Blondes with a Special in the Bridge. If this doesn't do it a Strat might not work out for you.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I recoomend Seymour Duncan SSL1. Very warm but articulate vintage tone. Bell like to use a cliche.

10. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I'd have to respectfully disagree with the previous posters who've recommended CS69's or low output pickups, which usually have more top end than higher output pickups.

CS69's are wonderful pickups but are very bright without much midrange (which is why they get that lovely clean, scooped sound). The 57/62's also sound quite toppy to me in my CP50's strat.

My advice would be to buy pickups like the Seymour Duncan APS-2 which are specifically advertised as warm, rather than bright. By contrast, the SSL's are designed to have much more top end. I've also owned Kinman Woodstock pickups which again were very big, bold and fat, but definitely not bright.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

My expereince with the low outputs have been a strong low end with a good balance.
    Adjustment is key.
    A higher output pu may give stronger mids, masking perceived highs.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

One would need to define "warm." With a strat, I don't want a mid heavy tone with the highs cut down. But you also don't want a shrill "icepick" tone. I find that modding the strat so the tone control works the bridge as well as the middle pup is a huge improvement. The neck is naturally the warmest pup but you still want that high end "glass." My experience is that vintage wound pups set about 1/16 - 1/8 above the pickguard will get you this. Rolling off the volume from 10 to 9 also is a great way to take out a bright top end as is the tone control. I think a lot of guys come from the humbucker LP world and are put off by the brightness of a strat. Also, an amp set up for a LP won't sound the best with a strat. Adjust the tone controls on the amp.

YMMV

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Have you tried rolling back on the tone control on the guitar? I've NEVER done that with my humbucker guitars (mainly Les Pauls), but realized it does wonders for a sharp trebly single coil in the bridge of a strat. Reall works!

14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Alnico 2 (Duncan APS 2's) are very warm & sweet but still very chimey & "stratty". Lace Hot Golds are warm, sweet, singing & quiet too. The "warmer" family of Strat pups is about all I play now- I love the flutey, not harsh tones.

15. cbstrat

cbstrat Supporting Member

I have replaced the OEM Strat pups in my guitars with Kinman blues and Calahan SRVs. They both have made a big difference in brittleness and noise. I also find a goo compressor tames it even further while adding creaminess and snap.

16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Member

If you want warm, you need to get pickups with Alnico II magnets. I had a bright ash-bodied Strat and the final solution that warmed it up was a set of SD APS-1's.

17. bek

bek Member

18. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I have the Lindy Fralin Blues Specials and the pickups have the best warm tone I have found, the base plate on the bridge pup also helps, and some people use a SP-43 for the bridge, if your looking for a more traditional strat tone Lindy Fralin's vintage hots, and lindy's pups are a safe bet, you can return pups for tone reasons in the first month and the pups are guaranteed for 10 years, had one fail on a while back and it was nice having them fix it for me.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle.asp

19. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

+1
    Very nice pups!

20. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Lollar!

I tried both Blackface and Blondes and although they have great definition while being warm, I like brighter (chimey) pickups. Seymour Duncans Antiquity II are my favorite vintage Strat sounding pickups, but for you, they are not as warm as the Lollars.

I just prefer "sizzle" over "warm". BTW Van Zandt's pickups are the king of sizzle!