1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend (wireless) headset mic?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jzucker, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Looking for something to use for doing instructional videos. Wireless not absolutely required but would be nice to have.

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I don't have any experience with headworn mics, but....

Most videos I've seen have been with lapel mics (and usually pretty poor voice quality too).

If you have a nice condensor, is running it on a boom over your head and out of the camera an option?

Cheers

Kris

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Too much bleed from the speakers and ceilings are not high enough. I think the headset mic is a better option for me.

4. Thor

Thor Member

Bump for this. Also looking for high-quality headset mic.

Thanks,

Edward

5. txfrc

txfrc Member

countryman.
    $ though.

6. DAB

DAB Member

A couple of guys in one of my bands had very good luck with the Sennheiser Wireless headset mic. I think the model was E153 or something close to it. It was well built, powerful, and did not have drop outs. It sounded as good as any SM58 we had.

7. Thor

Thor Member

8. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I've used an Audio Technica AT892 MicroSet 3 or 4 gigs a week for the last 3 years or so and it has performed without a hitch. My sweat and skin oils over my ear have started to eat the rubber cushion where it goes over the ear though.
    My consideration for a headset was sound and feedback rejection and fit. The MicroSet is slightly feedback prone unless you have a feedback eliminator or you run your vocal in the monitors fairly light or best case scenario use in-the-ear monitors.
    I actually quit using a feedback eliminator as it would 'search and destroy' enough frequencies that eventually you were almost muted. I also started to hate in-the-ear monitors as I felt isolated from the audience and the band as well (couldn't even handle running just one in either ear as well) and not only isolated, it was just a pain sometimes as you try to talk to people or communicate changes or rehearse so anyway...
    The solution was to run my vocals very light through the monitor which in a better way makes me push a little more vocally and as I'm doing so I 'monitor' what comes out of my mouth a little more than usual as I sing and that has been a good thing pitch wise and believe it or not dynamically...
    Oh, and one last thing. The Audio Technica mic itself 'hangs' under the ear which I like as opposed to the Countryman which hangs 'over' the ear. When you get the cord tugged on or movement causes the cord to shift the Countryman actually can be yanked off your ear a lot easier than the Audio Technica simply because the Audio Technica is more stationary. On the AT if the cord is pulled it just seats the mic more firmly into place because of it's design. Yeah, that was a big plus if you move or turn your head at all. The AT was just designed better in that aspect and I was also told that by AT personel...
    sorry for the long post but I've had a lot of experience with these and if you have any more ?'s just ask...