Recommend your favorite Helix amps & effects?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by primemover12, Aug 18, 2019.

1. primemover12

primemover12 Member

I recently picked up Helix Native because I got a great deal on it. However, all I've really done so far is replicate a few of the basic sounds I use in ReValver, Amplitube, and Spark.

The basic verdict there is that the PV Panama is competent; far better than the Metal Lead V in Amplitube; but not as smooth and believable as the 6505 in ReValver. The 2204 in Helix is better than the Brit 8000 in Amplitube; but a little less believable than the JCM800 in Spark. And the Soldano in Helix is significantly better than the Soldano in Amplitube.

But there's a huge world outside those three amps.

So, if you love your Helix, tell me which amps and effects you love the most.

I've played a bit with the new Revv amp, and I liked it for leads. Felt like a Bogner--thick and a bit dark.

2. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

REVV... it is awesome.

mbenigni likes this.
  3. burton56

burton56 Member

1) Amp- US Double Vib (Fender Twin Reverb Vibrato Channel)
    2) Compressor- Deluxe Comp
    3) OD/Distortion- SD9 (MAXON SD9), Vermin Dist (ProCo Rat)
    4) Flanger- Gray Flanger (MXR 117)
    5) Tremolo- Optical Trem (Fender Optical Trem)
    6) Delay- Transistor Tape (Echoplex EP3)
    7) Reverb- Plate and ‘63 Spring

-Bonus IR- God’s Cab- I believe it’s a 4X12 Mesa Cab, AKG C414 1 inch from cap and 1 inch from edge.

4. Blinkon

Blinkon Member

I love the trainwreck / derailed model, set to low-mid gain, master around 4-5, and a warm ribbon-mic cab or IR.

dmock66 likes this.
  5. Sleezy E

Sleezy E Member

You mentioned you liked the 2204.... try the placater dirty

jcbranam and mbenigni like this.
  6. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I really like the Placater dirty which is about as heavy as I ever get. If you're looking for higher gain amps take a look at the Archetype, and Rev amps.

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Amps: 2204, Placater Dirty, Soldano, Badonk (Haven't upgraded to 2.8 yet but I expect the Revv will be awesome)
    Boost: Scream 808, Stupor OD, Minotaur
    Effects: Script Mod Phase, Ubiquitous Vibe, Gray Flanger, 70s Chorus, Transistor Tape
    Reverb: Plate or Spring

sertshark likes this.
  8. JHand

JHand Member

Amps - JTM45, Lonestar, one of the Twin models, 2204, and one of the tweeds (not sure which one yet).

OD/etc - OCD, tone sovereign/heir apparent, KWB, and tube screamer.

9. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

Bodonk
    Revv
    Placator Dirty
    Litigator
    2204 Mod

10. dmock66

dmock66 Member

I agree with many of the aforementioned - and will add the Interstate Zed. I've been using that one for quite some time and really like how it interacts with the Deranged Master (Dallas Rangemaster Treble Boost). Also, I pair the Heir Apparent/Tone Sovereign with the Cali Texas Cln and really like how they pair up.

With respect to cabinet/mics - I almost exclusively use the Interstate 2x12 cab with the 160 6" back.

11. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Per all these recommendations, I fired up Helix and swapped the Placater in for the 2204 and WOW--this is the sound I wanted. Tighter, percussive, and hot. Seems like the sim of Friedman's Marshall is better than the actual Marshall sim.

I was getting a little discouraged because it seemed like the Helix was ok but not tops for some of my favorite sounds (I'd still take ReValver 4 for the 5150 sound; Spark for the JCM800), but it's turning out that the Revv, Placator, and Soldano make it uniquely great. Plus, the harmony/pitch effects are a ton of fun.

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  12. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

My favorite high gain amp so far is the Archetype Dirty (PRS Archeron). I'm not sure if I've ever had the gain above 3.5, and it's more than enough for me with great clarity.

Make sure you're trying different cabs, mics types and placements, plus low and high cut. There's so much you can tweak with stock cabs that I haven't even bothered jumping down the IR rabbit hole yet.

dmock66 likes this.
  13. jdroost

jdroost Member

Placator Dirty, mahadeva(Bogner Shiva), US Double.
    Also quite surprised on how much I like the Litigator.

63 Spring and the new single king of tone (forget the name).
    Optical Trem

14. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Swapped for a 2204 on my Helix today too (instead of a dirt box) and it is freaking fantastic! Two amps, one clean Marshall and one dirty Marshall 2204!

15. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Placater Dirty is my favourite amp so far. Even for lower gain it works better than the other marshally amps in Helix IMO. For high gain I like Solo Lead, Revv and Archetype Lead. Litigator and Mandarin are my favourite cleans. I’ve not messed too much with drive pedals yet- I’m finding amp drive way better than setting a clean amp model and using it as a pedal platform - all the drives just sound a bit meh so far.

danieloux likes this.