• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recommendation for a tuner

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Could someone please recommend a good shop tuner? My Strobostomp pedal is pretty much dead...I'm not happy about that. It was expensive, the display was always jumpy, and now it won't even pass a signal. It also doesn't have a mic.

I would love to buy a Turbo Tuner, but the one with the mic is constantly out of stock. I've been trying to buy one for years, but every time I think to look it's unavailable.

I was going to give the Strobo Flip a try...it seems like a huge improvement over the stupid Strobo Stomp, but they're no longer available.

I need a tuner NOW, or at least something to get me by until Peterson comes out with another bench tuner or the TT is available.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i think you can still get the st122A, which is the new aluminum-housed version; you'd probably have to call roger at turbo tuner, as apparently he's been having issues with the manufacturer of the aluminum, lots of scratch & dents getting through QC, so these aren't widely available.

here's the oddly hidden page for the new one.

walterw

in the meantime, my second-favorite tuner oddly enough is the peterson app running on my iphone!

it seems faster and more accurate than peterson's own "virtual" strobes ever were, not surprising since the iphone is way newer technology and has a vastly higher-resolution screen.

one of those mounted up on a bench with a power dock connector, maybe with a 1/4" plug-in adapter for the headphone jack in for electrics, would do the job nicely.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Thanks, Walter. Yes, it's an oddly hidden page. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone or I would buy the Peterson iPhone app. My Strobostomp was nightmarishly jumpy, though it was deadly accurate so I put up with it. I guess Peterson is completely out of the workbench tuner market now, except for their monster strobe units. Thats too bad.

I ended up buying a Korg CA-40 to hold be over until I figure it out. Actually, this little tuner works pretty well. You have to go slowly but I'm happy with the accuracy.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Before you toss the Stomp, I suggest calling Peterson. Their tech support customer service has been good and they really stand by their product. Sometimes above and beyond what you might expect. Depending on the problem they might be able to just send you an upgrade board with new jacks. Takes about 15 minutes to install. Or you might send it in and get it repaired for short dollars.

As for the jumpy screen, there are a couple of tricks to get the screen to settle if it bothers you.

No mic, no help there except you can get a clip on transducer that sends the signal to the stomp. Peterson used to and may still offer them. Gotta spend more money though.

hunter

walterw

+1 on peterson's rep for backing their stuff, but at that point you could just get the turbo st-200 pedal tuner with one of those cheap clip-on mic attachments.

the st-122 is awesome for bench work because it has a mic and terrific pitch-sensing technology, so it grabs acoustic signals really well. (that and the fact that it's way easier to change settings on than the 200)

Yes this. I only ever contacted Peterson once but they really showered me with accommodation the one time I did.

If you have any devices running on iOS they have their strobe tuner software on that platform. And you being a tech, you can build your own audio interface for iOS device.

Before you toss the Stomp, I suggest calling Peterson. Their tech support customer service has been good and they really stand by their product. Sometimes above and beyond what you might expect. Depending on the problem they might be able to just send you an upgrade board with new jacks. Takes about 15 minutes to install. Or you might send it in and get it repaired for short dollars.

As for the jumpy screen, there are a couple of tricks to get the screen to settle if it bothers you.

No mic, no help there except you can get a clip on transducer that sends the signal to the stomp. Peterson used to and may still offer them. Gotta spend more money though.

hunter

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
I noticed on a trip to Tom Anderson Guitarworks about two years back, not one, not two, but three Turbo Tuners in the shop. Just saying...

Last edited:

EADGBE

Yeah I'd call Peterson Tuners first. They can probably fix it for half the cost of a new one. Maybe less.

Thin Slices

I retired my Peterson tuner for a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. The Turbo Tuner is the best tuner produced. IMO that is.

Other tuners I have experience with are korg pitchblack, boss and the t-rex polytune.

Souldriver

I got mine for $50 or so since there are newer versions now but i use this for my guitar work. rugged, accurate, easy to use, accurate. i also like the analog readout better. the needle will point straight up when you are dead on.
if it broke i would replace it as long as i got a good price, if i had to buy a newer one that is now $100 i would also consider a turbo tuner.
http://www.midi-store.com/Boss-TU-12-Tuner-p-17287.html?gclid=CPnczbGu6rICFcqj4AodqlEAsg

Trending Topics