Recommendation for an overdrive that leans towards fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cwlivingston, Dec 7, 2019.

1. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Having never had any interest whatsoever in overdrive pedals, I now find myself looking for one. I just got the new Marshall SV20H head, and it sounds a little too good - I find that I like the sound of the raw amp overdrive so much that my fuzz pedals mask this new tone I love (I have a Fulltone 69, 70, Dunlop JH fuzz, and a Dunlop BOG fuzz).

I only need a little extra for soloing - pretty much the classic application of strat - dirt pedal - Marshall.

I hate Tube Screamers. The mid bump completely masks the articulation of a strat. But a little bit of mid character would help, so a straight clean boost doesn’t feel like the right path.

What I’d really love is a fuzz that has a linear gain - with ff style fuzzes, there’s no fuzz at all until you get at 8 or 9, then it’s too much. And volume knob cleanup w/strat is a must.

I tried a DOD OD250 reissue (which sounds more like a fuzz than a TS) - sounded like bees in a can even with the normal channel on the Marshall jumpered in. And cleanup with the guitar vol wasn’t good. I have a Red Llama clone on order, but at the moment, I’m out of other ideas.

Can anyone offer some guidance?

indeedido and Miki Dord like this.
  2. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I like the Hermida Dover Drive for fuzzy overdrive tones.

wade63, sanfi4u, honkeyjim and 7 others like this.
  3. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

Hudson Broadcast, Smallsound/Bigsound Mini (or F**K Overdrive), Fulltone Mas Malo, TREX Mudhoney.

Those are the ones I've played I can think of at the moment. The Fulltone is my favorite of those, the Red Llama is great but the clones really kind of miss the mark in the warmth of the sound imho

4. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

Oh, the Analogman Astro Tone is great for this sort of thing. And a surface can be depending on the transistor used. It's really a matter of budget I guess

5. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Just checked it out on YT - sounds great! I’d heard of that pedal but never checked it out and forgot about it.

Lauri Vennonen likes this.
  6. Riffa

Riffa Member

BF Arctic white is a great option.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Lovepedal SST is excellent for this, overdrive to fuzz with the click of the diode switch and turn of the gain knob.

8. Moniker

Moniker Guitarchitect Supporting Member

Ive always considered the Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe to be a "fuzzdrive" ya it can get fuzzy but I find it best with the fuzz knob below noon where it lives in this overdrive/fuzz blended area..

rxguitars, fred_, J.T. and 7 others like this.
  9. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Give the Skreddy Screwdriver a shot!

xrcdan, rxguitars, fred_ and 10 others like this.
  10. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    Haaaave you met Red Llama?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  11. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I ordered the Chicago Stompworks llama clone last week, supposed to be here Monday. Was disappointed to see WH wasn’t making them anymore. Supposedly a very simple circuit to clone, but someone above posted that the clones he’s heard don’t have the magic. Will just have to wait and see.

12. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Basic Audio Futureman.

I had one and it did all that very well.

13. halcyon

halcyon Member

Yup, the SS/BS Mini is a good shout, and the humble Boss BD-2 is an excellent "open-sounding" overdrive that gets a bit fuzzy as you turn up the gain.

14. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    I’d keep my eyes open for a used one on Reverb. MkII is the best, IMO. The silver one, 25th Anniversary Edition, has the tone control which does slightly change the sound. Not bad, just different, and somewhat subtle at that.

cwlivingston likes this.
  15. Fulminata19

Fulminata19 Member

The Mythos Golden Fleece is branded as a fuzz, but I've always thought of it as a bit toward the overdrive end of the spectrum. Definitely interacts well with the volume knob, and there are a couple versions that Zach does of this circuit. The High Road he does is spittier and definitely a bit more fuzzy, and he says the Mass Street Music Au79 version he does is a bit lower gain and more overdrive like.

Here's Ariel Posen on the standard version:

16. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Supporting Member

17. conanb

conanb Member

+1 on the Hudson Broadcast. Internal trim pots mean you can push the second stage OD into spluttering madness. Takes a bit of fiddling tho.

cwlivingston and bibletoter like this.
  18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

You are describing a full range boost pedal. More of what your amp does, cleans up from guitar volume. You’re welcome.

19. Frank67

Frank67 Member

20. mulekicker

mulekicker Member

Ss/bs Mini for sure. I also love the od sounds I get outta the MidFi Demo Tape.

cwlivingston likes this.