Recommendation for an overdrive that leans towards fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cwlivingston, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

Proco Rat.

It can really slam the amp's input, with lower drive amount and lots of volume, adjusting the filter to suit.

And then there's the whole magic of using a tube screamer to slam the front of it. Oh my...

Technically it is a fuzz... but it's an effective treble booster too.

Harder to find - HBE Germacide.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    cwlivingston, mrfett and piperman like this.
  2. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

You win the thread.
    I came here to say this exact thing.
    Btw a COT 50 into an Overdriver in front of a Plexi is the best fuzztone I ever had.

3. Adam Zaiger

Adam Zaiger Silver Supporting Member

4. coldengray

coldengray Member

Rangemaster style pedal.

cwlivingston and TP Parter like this.
  5. bettset

bettset Member

what has worked for me is the t rex mudhoney II. one side i can use as a boost, the other side gets the kinda fuzz tone i can use. i like several types of fuzz effects on the market, but are a bit too much for what i want. the t rex suits me and has now for a good 10 years or so :munch

cwlivingston likes this.
  6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

In these threads I always struggle to understand people's definitions of overdrive versus fuzz. Seems pretty random.

Any fuzz with clean up does overdrive, especially if there any tone control. I have no idea what it means for "an overdrive to do fuzz."

7. Viking999

Viking999 Member

The Blakemore Effects Mustang is a WH Red Llama clone that adds bass, mids, & treble knobs.
    An EHX Hot Tubes mini pedal would be a cheaper option (<$50), that might work as well.

cwlivingston likes this.
  8. Matt Griffin

Matt Griffin Supporting Member

9. buzzard blues bird

buzzard blues bird Member

Your fulltone 70’ pedal should work great for this. I use one with a Marshall 2204 . I cut my volume on guitar to about 8 and it sounds like an overdrive, roll it to 10 and you’ve got fuzz.

10. King Rat

King Rat Member

Sorry I didn't do any lead playing.. but I made a short fuzzy drive comparison vid over in the BMF Aussie Tourbox thread.. compares the llama two a couple of others...

Hope it helps

I would seriously suggest a Lovepedal Eternity Fuse - on the clean boost setting it's the cat's pyjamas for what you want. Don't let the TS clone talk misdirect you from tonal bliss.

cwlivingston and AceBSpankin like this.
  11. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

I’d be checking out some of the Bearfoot OD’s. They can get a bit wooly/fuzzy at higher gain.

cwlivingston likes this.
  12. gaelicsolus

gaelicsolus Supporting Member

+1 for Skreddy. I just bought their Hybrid Fuzz Driver, which really appealed to me because of its transparency.

Love the Fulltone Mas Malo too, much less transparent but a very musical, usable range of OD and fuzz. One has been circulating through my local buy and trade group.

I have a Hudson Broadcast, too, but I don't really consider it an OD/fuzz, it has its own sound although you can get it to oscillate and it has a germanium resistor. There are a few others on here I agree with and a few I don't. The Mythos Golden Fleece is another sure bet, IMO.

I don't really find a tube driver style pedals to be very much good unless you're tipping a cranked amp over the cliff, and they don't get very fuzzy unless you're thinking really mild Fuzzface style. I don't really find a Ratt can be tamed very well either. YMMV

cwlivingston likes this.
  13. fitzo

fitzo Greybeard Silver Supporting Member

I finally found joy in Od/fuzz with the acquisition of a Basic Audio Futureman. The try before that was a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver and it didn’t make me happy at all. The Futureman checks the boxes from boost to gritty OD to fuzz. Folks here have said it’s a take on the Colorsound Overdriver with extended tone control.

It’s very gratifying to know you finally found just what you wanted all along. Worth a look. Good hunting!

14. Humbucker Rodeo

Humbucker Rodeo Member

A pedal which does overdrive-to-fuzz range beautifully is the Keeley Germanium Super Phat Mod. This is from his 'Hand Built' range, which effectively means limited quantity. New ones can still be attained out there (as of this writing).

My second suggestion would be a Wampler Velvet Fuzz. You desire a fuzz pedal which behaves in a more linear gain fashion. This pedal offers fuzz without the sudden plunge into inarticulate hyper-clipping.

A third suggestion which comes to mind is the Keeley Red Dirt Germanium pedal. I don't think it would get you into the fuzz pie so deeply as you might like, but it does clean up nicely with the volume knob.

cwlivingston and TP Parter like this.
  15. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Yeah, a treble booster with a full range option would be the ticket.

16. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

cwlivingston likes this.
  17. Deluzion

Deluzion Member

Smallsound/Bigsound F*ck overdrive is perfect for you (and alot of others) its one of the best drives on the market imo.

cwlivingston and aaronjcurtis like this.
  18. RLE

RLE Member

RedBeard Effects - Red Mist MkIV

cwlivingston likes this.
  19. Miki Dord

Miki Dord Member

Before i share names of pedals you ask for IMHO you could try some as they call them ''metal DS'' and dial it in a way that it suits you well, in essence all of them came from fuzz.
    Some of usual good options as you describe your wish are: for example Biyang Fuzz 12 classic analog fuzz pedal with an extra switch that that pedal have, so you can dial that overdrish kinda fuzz. It is made like a tank and parts inside are 1st class. There is a smaller sister of that pedal named baby boom fuzz with similar sounds. I saw some people call them ''big muff clone'' but it is not , it is imho much better made and it sounds different.
    There is also Mosky take on DOD250 with a specific sound and their Mosky Gold and Mosky Silver Horse are great OD's that are not tube srceemish to much.
    Another cool option is often overlooked Ibanez tone lock fz7 with those damage switch, so don't be fulled with price tags all of them are well made.
    Each of those is under 50$ US (crazy ☺) new one of course and Mosky is like 20-25$ and it is hard for me describe how well they make those things nowadays.

Now that opinion regding what you might like (it is just guessing, decision is your normally), i use zombie and metal embrace for those sounds, blues rock up to some sick metal, both have options to dial em in the way were mids can be ''covered'' and zombie have that fuzzish bite to my ears at least. They are under 50$ and building qulity is top of the line. So in total for all those pedals you won't spent more then 150$ and i think you'l get with one or with combination of 2 that what you need.
    this is Biyang fuzz baby it starts n 1 minute 30 sec it in espanol before that...

Fuzzish sound more toward heavy side is like it in this video, so it is easy to dial gain down and keep ''byte'' youtube]6y-6hoBoY7A
    There are other videos this is 1st that is made OK i have found, also you can check out others on YT, that is all for the moment that it drops on my mind.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    willc68 likes this.
  20. Colamander

Colamander Member

Used Fulltone Catalyst - cheap option!

cwlivingston, bobcs71 and Feverdog like this.