• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Recommendation for decent mic and compressor

sampleinajar

Hi All-

I am getting back into recording after a long break, and am in the market for two all-purpose pieces of gear. First, I need a good condenser mic (under $500) that will be really good on vocals, and at least 'good' on acoustic/classical guitar. I would also like recommendations for a good, all-purpose compressor/limiter that could be used for everything from drums to vocals to guitar (under $500 if possible). Ease of use on the compressor would be a factor too.

Many thanks for your thoughts-

Steve

GregoryL

Lots of options available - some commonly receiving favourable feedback for your applications...

Blue Bluebird
Audio Technica 4040
Rode NT2-A

For the compressor, if you're looking for outboard, the FMR RNC is a nice unit, but if you're recording into a DAW, you may want to consider going with a plug-in for the most versatility (no limit to number of channels).

loudboy

I would look at Shure KSM Series and A-T mics, in that price range.

Then, I'd get an RNC and an AT Pro-VLA, for two different flavors.

sampleinajar

Cool. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am intrigued by the KSM44, so I'll see if I can find one used someplace.

Anyone have suggestions for a good plugin compressor that would work for Reaper, Cubase4, and Acid?

Thanks, and any more suggestions welcome!

Steve

aram

Get the Rode NTV tube mic.

It's back from the day when Rode was making mics as a high end mic company, before they started mass producing things.

When it first came out they went for over $1500. now you can get them for around $450. They come up on ebay now and then and are well worth the wait.

They sound AMAZING!

It's a sleeper. Get it! you won't be disappointed. I'll see if I can post some clips of mine and an acoustic tomorrow.

I will also second the awesomeness of the stillwell audio stuff.

aram

Awesome, thanks aram and wopr. Starting to do my homework and searches..

Best-

Steve
I've also read that if you swap out the tube in the NTV to a NOS tube, it gets even better.

There was some big time producer a few years back who said in TapeOP that he prefered it to a U47 when doing this.

Then the prices shot up a bit.

But now they're back to the mid $400s.

Trending Topics