Recommendation for inexpensive jazz hollow body.

Oriondk

I think I’m ready to get a hollow body for jazz. I’ve been using a semi-hollow and It’s just not giving me the tone I want I probably want a smaller guitar like an ES-175. I had Gretsch years ago, but it was a little difficult for me to play and didn’t give me the tone I was looking for. I’m looking for something less than $1,000, and it doesn’t have to have a bridge pick up.

dreamingaxe

Eastman AR series.

I second the Eastman..

The ES-175 copy is VERY GOOD. I sampled one when I was buying an acoustic.. the natural one is actually very beautiful and with Kent Armstrong pickups, theres actually nothing to upgrade.. it also rivals the feel and build quality of my ES-330. I actually want one to add a "175" in my collection.

They also have the 1 pickup version

CardinalComb

Eastman would be over $1,000, here in Canada anyways and I suspect $US too. I bought a used Ibanez Artcore AFJ85 a few days ago for $550. The owner even put flatwound strings on it. Plays really well, action is super low and the pickups are super warm and clear.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Used Ibanez is the ticket. They're often undervalued on the used market and the quality has impressed me regardless of the country they've been made in. If you find yourself getting a cheaper one, there's always the opportunity to upgrade the pickups.

FuzzMuff

I don't know first hand, but have heard a lot of good things about Ibanez hollow bodies that are a lot of bang for the buck.

Eireguitar

The Eastmans have gotten expensive lately, at least where I live. The base model 175 type is around the €1400 mark. Ibanez seems like the only decent option at that price. There is also The Loar and Godin but any I played were really flimsy and low quality.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
Is Epiphone still making their ES-175? Perhaps it's priced lower than an Eastman AR372, which I'd prefer myself. Or you could always go the used route with either. There's also the Epiphone Zephyr Regent.

Last edited:
Used Ibanez is the ticket. They're often undervalued on the used market and the quality has impressed me regardless of the country they've been made in. If you find yourself getting a cheaper one, there's always the opportunity to upgrade the pickups.
^ THIS. I seriously don't know how those end up on the used market for so little $$$. They're great instruments. Grab one!

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Yes Eastman.. I was able to get my Eastman AR371CE-BD in Blonde, with a Lollar pickup installed, for $700 on Reverb. Had an unnoticeable ding on the back. With a setup to fix the bridge in place, its a great jazzbox. What a great value.

bluegrif

An Eastman is one of the best options if you buy used. Another great used option would be Peerless. Some of the Newark series Guilds can be found in that price range. The X-175 Manhattan is pretty nice and I see mint used ones for around $800. New, Ibanez will be your best option. The really inexpensive Ibanez models don’t have the depth of tone you’ll get with higher priced archtops, but they do a respectable job plugged in.

boogiejem

Another vote for a used Ibanez. I picked up a used JP 120 that is a beautiful jazz guitar and despite being made in the 80’s this guitar has almost no fret wear and an action that is better than the Gibson I have owned.
D69D0D2A-210A-4045-8025-9C7215945805.jpeg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom