Recommendation for multi-FX to supplement analog pedalboard

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by currynoodles, Feb 25, 2020.

Which would you go for as a compact multi-fx to supplement an analog pedalboard?

1. HX Stomp

66.7%
  2. Amplifire 6

3.0%
  3. Mooer GE250

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mooer GE200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Plethora X5

12.1%
  6. Other

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. currynoodles

currynoodles Member

Hey TGP!

I sold a bunch of gear recently and I'm looking for a suggestion for a replacement.

Initially had a modded Zoom G3N that was used mostly for delays, modulation and reverb into an amp. Also used it as an amp sim if needed in a pinch. I use it with a bunch of analog drives and a wah. Prior to the G3N I used a modded G3. Both were picked mainly for their feature set, price point and small size.

Was perhaps looking at the HX Stomp which seemed like the best solution that can cover the ground I need for effects and amp sims. Seen various videos on it and it looks crazy flexible with all sorts of different ways to use it.

Other Options I'm considering:
    • Atomic Amplifire 6
    • Mooer GE200 or GE250
    • Hotone Ampero
    • Plethora X5 (but this has no amp sims)
    Trying to look at options and not drink the Helix kool-aid. Would love to get your input!

Edit: forgot the Ampero

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. Ejay

Ejay Member

Boss ms3 should be on your shortlist, good effects, pedal looper, switches amps, very nice footswitch configuration.
    No amp sims however..

Rod likes this.
  3. currynoodles

currynoodles Member

Definitely was on my radar, but yeah, no amp sims. :(

4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

The HX Stomp is exactly what you are describing. I'd start there.

Fireproof likes this.
  5. Ejay

Ejay Member

If that’s a requirement, personally I’d look at the Ge 250, because I appriciate more switches, expression pedal, global eq , seperate feeds for stage / foh.
    Mooers amp are good, effects serviceable.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

My choice being other would be a Keeley mod box or a TC analog big multi fx". I stay away from the all digital stuff.. just doesn’t sound real enough to my ears..
    For amp sims you could add the Diditech amp sim pedal.,

7. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I would drink the kool aid. It's excellent.

The Helix is a clear step up from the Zoom and will integrate well with your analog stuff.

8. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

Headrush Gigboard, Helix Stomp (you'll need additional footswitches), Pod Go will all cover it. This is assuming you want modeling which wasn't clear in the OP title. If you don't need modeling the HXFX will do everything you need. If you're a hardcore analog guy for effects you'll need to go in a different direction. Atomic has great models and good effects but signal chain, multiple versions of same effect, and onboard interface are not it's strong suits. I've used all 3 company's products. Don't have any experience with the others. Also I obviously haven't used the Pod Go but it is derived from the same platform as Helix products of which I've used the Stomp, LT and HXFX. The Headrush has the easiest, most intuitive interface of anything I've used and the models and effects sound great. You may have to try a couple to see what you like best.

9. estrago1

estrago1 Member

I'd definitely recommend the Stomp in this situation. The 2 effects loops really make it easy to integrate into a larger pedalboard, and the sheer number of high quality amps and effects that you get allow you to adapt to just about any playing situation.

10. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

I went for an Amplifire. But HX Stomp didn't exist at that point in time.

How many footswitches do you need?
    Delays / verbs probably better in the HX Stomp.
    Can you work with the limited blocks in HX Stomp (is that still an issue?)

[​IMG]

11. Zakor

Zakor Supporting Member

Drink the Kool Aid. Really good community, good ongoing development and support of the platform.
    Get a Stomp and add a footswitch if you need to.
    ...Or, if you don't need the Modelling, Go HXFX which has lots'o'switches, scribble strips, and integrates well.

12. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Fractal FX8 with real amps is the best of both worlds, ive owned.
    Tube tones with studio quality fx, and switching.

13. currynoodles

currynoodles Member

I'm thinking if I'm going with the Amplifire it would be the 6. How do you find it when used for just effects w/ no amp sims? I'm told the effects order is fixed?

14. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

The effects are unnecessarily complicated - but there are effects presets up on the Atomic site for most of the basics - chorus, flanger, phaser, reverbs, delays etc.
    You can copy and paste effects block settings from one preset to another so that helps a lot. There is one signal path and the effects are in a particular order, although you can move them pre/post amp and some can be put in several different places in the signal path e.g. the drive pedals, the fx loop etc. The great advantage of this is that it uses the DSP more efficiently so switching between presets is much quicker.

I probably wouldn't recommend it as an FX only unit, but the amp sims are great. Key question for you is how much you really need amp / cab sims. If you do then it's POD Go, HX Stomp or Amplifire 6/12, plus the others you mention. If you don't then HXFX, FX8 and TC Plethora should be on the list. Older Line 6 M series or POD HD still worth a look too (effects are pretty solid in both I think).

I'd say the main reason for going for the Atomic vs the HX Stomp is that the Atomic can also operate as a MIDI control centre, using PC commands. AFAIK the HX Stomp can't do that. I have an external midi switcher (DB11 loop expander) for external pedals, which receives PC commands from the Amplifire and switches my pedals on and off at the same time. This allows me to use the Amplfire as the controller for my whole board, at which point 12 buttons becomes quite useful.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Guitardave likes this.