Recommendation for single-coil sized humbucker for strat

Mangy71

I have tried almost every mini-bucker from Seymour Duncan & Dimarzio. My favorites are the Dimarzio Chopper and the Dimarzio Pro-Track.

People say that they don't sound like a full-size humbucker, and that is true, but I don't think that is a bad thing. I actually like the way these sound in the bridge position of my Strat better than any full-sized humbucker I have tried.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried many ... just go HSS and never look back. Especially if you get into PAFs, they are kind of addicting and you will never get that tone with a single size.

gadzooka

I have tried almost every mini-bucker from Seymour Duncan & Dimarzio. My favorites are the Dimarzio Chopper and the Dimarzio Pro-Track.

People say that they don't sound like a full-size humbucker, and that is true, but I don't think that is a bad thing. I actually like the way these sound in the bridge position of my Strat better than any full-sized humbucker I have tried.
I'm not much of a gear tinkerer, but I can attest to liking the Chopper. I just bought a used Telecaster (MIM) wherein the previous owner had replaced the pickups with a Twang King and a Chopper (like the Kotzen signature). I love them. Playing the Chopper through a POD amp emulator set to a Vox AC-30 right now, it sounds perfect to me - with lots of beef yet still twangy with bright high end.

tonyhay

Silver Supporting Member
I put a JB Jr into a strat. Sounds good, I've been pleased with it. Haven't compared it to any other options though.

sedawkgrep

Silver Supporting Member
+1 for the dimarzio pro track. It's a hugely underrated bridge pickup. PAF like tones...does not sound like a single. I love it.

Brooks

prolly gonna get flamed, but i like the $25 GFS lil killer.
no, it doesn't sound like a strat or a full sized hum, but somewhere in between.
i got the hot one (15k) as i wanted to use my strat in our classic metal band.

imaxeman69

I have DiMarzio HS3-HS2-HS3 in my frankenstrat. Sounds like a strat except maybe just a bit thicker. Very Quiet.

SD Classic Stack Plus. Love 'em. Got 'em in all three positions on my Strat and I couldn't be happier. Clean up at nicely below about 6 on the volume, crank 'em and they drive an amp.

CubanB

prolly gonna get flamed, but i like the $25 GFS lil killer.
no, it doesn't sound like a strat or a full sized hum, but somewhere in between.
i got the hot one (15k) as i wanted to use my strat in our classic metal band.
No reason to get flamed.

Have never used GFS personally, but it's interesting to see if others like using them.

daa2202

Silver Supporting Member
Another vote for the DiMarzio ProTrack. Great pickup! I like it much better than the Duncan JB Jr. I tried previously.

For a really interesting combo, pair that ProTrack in the bridge position with a pair of DiMarzio Cruiser Bridge model pickups in the neck and middle positions (yes, you read that right.) That's the setup that Andy Timmons uses. I tried that recently and I have to say that it's fantastic...chime, quack, and PAF-flavored ballsiness all out of the same guitar. Great tones, no noise.

Fu Schnickens

I have a JB Jr. in the neck of my Strat and a Little '59 in the bridge of my tele. The JB sounds like a really fat single with power and volume. The 59 is more humbuggery than the JB, but still not full-size sounding. Maybe 3/4 HB sounding. I like them both and have no plans to swap out.