Recommendations for a 1X12 or 2X12

pfrischmann

Hi guys,
I am currently running a W/D/W setup with a Marshall 4x12 with Scumbacks in the middle, an avatar 2X12 with Celestion 60's on the left and an open 4x10 with EV's on the right. A hodge podge for sure but it sounds really good.

It's time to make the wife happy and scale everything down to two 2X12s or 1x12's in a stereo rig.
I just can't play at a volume that justifies this monstrosity. I also play about 60 min a month..maybe.

So,
What's the cool thing to do?
It used to be EV's in pacific woodworks cabs. I'm not sure they are cool anymore.
Bogner cubes?
Mesa thiele 1X12?
THD 2x12's?

The trick is to find something open enough to allow the clean tone to sound open and not boxy and closed enough to give the ganier sounds some thump.

Gone Fission

I have a TL-806 with EVM-12L that to my ear fits what you're looking for--sort of. Sounds great clean or distorted, doesn't sound congested, doesn't sound loose and flubby. But you can get the thing pumping air without much effort--a Smokey Amp will get it house loud before the amp breaks into distortion, which it basically will do at the drop of a hat. Depending on your rig, this can be bad (reeling back a non-master Marshall without neutering it with the attenuator) or just fine (sub in an affordable lower power solidstate amp that doesn't guzzle electricity and make your practice space an oven in summer).

pfrischmann

LOL,
I'm just looking for ideas. I play pretty quietly these days in a pretty small room. There's just no need for such a large rig.

Marioverkill

Silver Supporting Member
I use Port city cabs for my home WDW setup. A 2x12 and 1x12's for the wet or stereo loaded down. They are less directional and spread the sound nicely even a low volumes. I sit fairly close to my setup and still get WDW effect.

Hamer95USA

I use either a Mosvalve 982 or 942 power amp and a pair of Marshall 1912 1x12 closed back cabs for my wet/dry/wet guitar rig. I have a line out from either my Marshall 6101 combo amp or Rocktron Vendetta amp head going into the Korg DL8000R delay then the Mosvalve 942 power amp out to the Marshall 1x12 cabs. The rack itself is about 4 spaces and with the 2 1x12 cabs, it's quite portable, but can project volume when necessary.

Guitar George

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
I would second the recommendation for Port City cabs, they are really great in making compact cabs sound very open and big sounding. I Never tried their 1x12 but I've had standard 2x12 for a long time (both vertical and horizontal), I found them when searching for a great tone as close as possible to my good old 60's Marshall 4x12 in a more compact & portable setup.
For 1x12, I've had several Boogie with EV12 (both open back and thiele style), great little cabs, but I preferred to keep a pair of old ported Pacific Woodworks with V30, great 1x12 and still cool to me :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom