Recommendations for a 20-50 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GUITARSOLO, Mar 17, 2008.

1. GUITARSOLO

GUITARSOLO Member

I am in a 4-piece indie rock band; we are currently working on alternative and punk rock material as well. We play mainly small to medium sized gigs, so I don't want anything over 50 watts tube. Anyways for reference, my vocalist uses a Traynor YCV50Blue. In addition, I play a lot at home and hope the amp can sound decent at bedroom levels. Of course, the amp should sound good at gigs!

I'd like something with warm round cleans and a mid-gain overdrive that is thick and crunchy (just a rough description). As a result, 2 channels is preferred. So far, I am interested in the Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue and the Traynor YCS50, but would like to know what other options there in this price range. I am open to combo or head+cab suggestions. Recommendations appreciated!

2. joel98z

joel98z Member

Peavey classic series.. 50 watt 2x12 or 30 1x12. Both can be had in a head version. The C50 is no longer made in a head so it may be harder to find.. They can get pretty crunchy with a good compressor in front of them. Stick some good tubes and a V30/G12H30 in a C50 and have tone for days.

3. GUITARSOLO

GUITARSOLO Member

Peavey Classics are recommended a lot, but I am willing to spend a bit more. How about the 25 watt Riveras or even the Mesas?

4. cameron

cameron Member

Orange Rocker 30 is worth checking out. Likewise various offerings from Dr.Z (Route 66 in particular), though you'd need a pedal with the Zs, they generally sound great with pedals (the EF-86 tube reacts very well to dirt pedals and boosts).

5. oddjobpeters

oddjobpeters Member

Describe thick and crunchy distortion. Do you have a reference song for the sound you want? I know I just recently found the distortion I wanted, but it took me a lot of trying, reading, listening to sound samples (and money) to get there. For me, I ended up needing an EL84-based amp to get my sound, but I realized that people have a wide range of sounds when referring to "thick" distortion. The sound I was looking for is in the Matt Mays territory, sort of out-of-control thick, classic rock distortion of an amp on the verge of melting.

I found that sound with, well, a Traynor amp as well - the YCV20WR. I use distortion pedals to get my distortion, though (well, virtual ones), or I bypass the preamp altogether sometimes and external preamp models. The 15 watts allows me to get it right in the zone at band levels. I have a YCV40WR as well, but even with Yellow Jacket EL84 converters, I need to attenuate it to get the power tubes to saturate and not drown out the band. And it never sounded as good as the YCV20. Using the 6L6 power tubes of the YCV40 just doesn't do it for me for the sound I want. I will hold on to it to do get more modern rock sounds if I do those kinds of covers, though - it's still an awesome amp. As for the lower volume associated with 15 watts, I figure that if ever I play a gig that requires that much volume, I'll just mic my amp since there will be a good PA setup anyway - I have an e906 mic that's a breeze to hook up and sounds great almost any way you place it.

I stumbled upon Traynor amps as a last resort when trying to find a new amp last year. They were hands-down my favorites out of 15 or so combos I tried. You can't go wrong with them, IMO.

6. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

Marshall DSL50 and Cab

[/thread]

haha well at least try it...sounds perfect for what you are wanting.

7. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Orange Rocker 30 head with a 2x12 cab...perfect!

8. GUITARSOLO

GUITARSOLO Member

I am not sure what song I can use as a reference point for thick and crunchy overdrive. Not so much crunchy, but more thick. I guess I don't want distortion that is harsh, thin and trebly sounding. More in the mids.
    Anyways, oddjobpeters, you mentioned how you use a 15 watt Traynor to get power tube saturation. What kind of music do you play? I am interested in power tube saturation, but at the same time I need the headroom for cleans. I play cleans quite a bit.

Minor change. I am willing to increase my budget more than the Hughes&Kettner and Traynor YCS50. Has anyone tried the Rivera Clubster 25watt 1x10 combo? Not sure if it will hold up in band situation due to the speaker size. What other Rivera's are under $900?

I am going to pass on the Marshall DSL401. I think I heard some reliability issues with those. The Orange Rocker 30 seems to be a cool amp and I am interested; however, is it possible to get a used one for under $900 as I am located in Canada?

9. wilerty

wilerty Member

The good news is that they offer a Rivera Clubster 25 Doce (1X12, $1,000). I only use mine in my basement, but it certainly seems loud enough to use out. I play mostly clean and some crunch, but it does seem to cover a good range of distortion. Very nice clean sound with full tight bass at low volume.

10. Cubicle

Cubicle Member

+1 on the Rivera Clubster 25 Doce...Fendery clean with decent reverb on Channel 2, Marshally type Overdrive on Channel 1, with independent tone controls...Light and portable, well built, and plenty loud.

11. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

What's the price range?

I'd say a /13 LDW 17/39 would kill it!

12. starjag

starjag Member

You should be able to find a Zinky Blue Velvet 25-watt within the $800-$1100 range. You won't go wrong with one of these if you let your ears guide you :)

13. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I have a DSL401 combo amp, its my favorite amp, Love the Marshall Tone, everyone else is an also ran.

Crates V32 might be a nice amp for you.

Fender Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe, I have a Deluxe, its a shy on the overdrive, but for the price you can buy lots of OD pedals,

Mesa's got several amps you might look at, I have a Mark IV which might be out of your price range, a guy I played with had a Recto-Verb, nice combo Rectofier with a reverb built in.

Mesa's Express 5:25 or 5:50

15. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

How about an AC30? Fits the description of what you're after.