• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommendations for a CE type chorus with true bypass

stonecabin

I did not like the Waterfall at all and I also don‘t think it sounds like a CE/2. it is a matter of taste of course, but I found it too dominant in an unpleasant way. Not saying it is a bad pedal at all, just not for me.

I have tried many chorus pedals and while the vintage CE-2 is still one of my favorites (prefer it over the Waza, which, however, is also good) some of the nicest ones (IMHO):

- Mad Professor Electric Blue Chorus. it is subtle to strong in the CE-2 family and has a blend knob
- Strymon Ola. Killer sounding pedal. Both vibrato and chorus are excellent. Blend knob, Stereo

I have tried many others and didn‘t like the Catalinbread Callisto (more than the Waterfall but less than the two I mentioned) but the Mooer Ensemble King sounds very good and has blend knob too.
Had a ripply fall and couldn't get on with the waterfall side. The top end seemed to have a nasty high pitched sheen to it which gave me a headache when I played it.

Moderato

The Waza doesn't have the CE-1 preamp - so the modulation is close, but overall sound is quite different. This one models the preamp too - and really does nail it as a result:

I believe PastFX can do a mod to make the Chorus Ensemble Mini true bypass so the preamp isn't active when the modulation is disengaged, like it is on the original CE-1 - I think you just specify when ordering. :)

dont want to argue, but once again we have very different ears, even in your video the supposed clone is way more icepicky and string by string definition is not as pleasant as in the original, I had 3 CE1 in the past (where I live in the 80s, and still in the early 90s, it was the go to pedal), Im more than happy not to have to deal with trouble anymore (noise and transformer fail first) but Im also missing that sound, to this day no one nailed it imho

...could it be that we have very different gear, I dont know, thanks however for all your comparison/videos

npappas

Horrothia Type One is supposed to be a copy of the CE-1 modulation with no preamp or vibrato, though I believe it has a digital clock driving the BBD (I'd imagine it's a BBD, it's described as Analogue yet has a digital clock driver so the delay line must be analog or they're boldface lying to their users haha).

The switch was described as a "buffered relay" or something like that, so I'm not sure how it would work with fuzzes—although some have been saying / pointing out that the effects of buffers on fuzzes have been overstated for decades (I have no horse in this race so don't @ me on this take).

I have one coming in the mail so I'm happy to report back when it's been checked out. :) I have to admit it sounded really lush in demos which is why I decided to pick one up. I don't usually have the patience to buy pedals brand new, but the CE-1 is so special to me I figured why not.

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
Horrothia Type One is supposed to be a copy of the CE-1 modulation with no preamp or vibrato, though I believe it has a digital clock driving the BBD (I'd imagine it's a BBD, it's described as Analogue yet has a digital clock driver so the delay line must be analog or they're boldface lying to their users haha).

The switch was described as a "buffered relay" or something like that, so I'm not sure how it would work with fuzzes—although some have been saying / pointing out that the effects of buffers on fuzzes have been overstated for decades (I have no horse in this race so don't @ me on this take).

I have one coming in the mail so I'm happy to report back when it's been checked out. :) I have to admit it sounded really lush in demos which is why I decided to pick one up. I don't usually have the patience to buy pedals brand new, but the CE-1 is so special to me I figured why not.
Yeah @Vash33 I came here to rec this as well!

npappas

Yeah @Vash33 I came here to rec this as well!

The only thing I don't quite understand about the ad copy revolving around this pedal is "they use a unique waveform never heard in other chorus pedals". Pretty sure the CE-1 uses a triangle wave which is actually pretty common for both chorus and flange. The CE-2 uses a triangle wave as well.

saladin

Save your $$$ and get this...

o_1efjeth7557blo41ovv11f119sd1c.jpg

Sounds amazing and it made my long used analog CH-1 get sent to my bass board. Don't be fooled by the low price.
I've been a chorus abuser since the 80's and this one can stand up to all challengers.

I know it's not fancy or exotic. But the Line 6 M5 has a great analog chorus built in that is inspired by a CE-1. And it's true bypass, not to mention just a great all around Leatherman tool of a pedal.
And having expressional pedal capability pities as well as midi doesn't hurt.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I'd use the CE-2W with a small true bypass box.

EDIT: The Zoom MS50G has a killer CE-1 model in it. You could also use that with a true bypass box.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
Check out the JHS Emperor V2 ... After a year or so with the BOSS CE-2W, I did a compare and contrast exercise for a few weeks with the JHS Emperor and never switched back (now been over a year). Thanks to its tone knob and wave shape selector (I keep it on triangle), the pedal covers a lot of ground and drips with 80's tone. The Emperor is based on the Arion SCH-1.

Last edited:

Buck Woodson

Boss MD-500 has a great CE-1 (and much more).

I'm not sure about true bypass, my guess would be it's configurable.

Last edited:

Chrosa

Save your $$$ and get this...

o_1efjeth7557blo41ovv11f119sd1c.jpg

Sounds amazing and it made my long used analog CH-1 get sent to my bass board. Don't be fooled by the low price.
I've been a chorus abuser since the 80's and this one can stand up to all challengers.

I second this. The moment I saw the title of this thread I intended to post the same thing. I've shot the NU-X out against several boutique chorus pedals and preferred it. It's very warm, no issues with build quality or unusable sounds. Really impressed with this guy and has been on my board for months now.

Took a chance because of the low price, it was my first NU-X pedal and now I'm interested in more.

JT1

The Waza doesn't have the CE-1 preamp - so the modulation is close, but overall sound is quite different. This one models the preamp too - and really does nail it as a result:

I believe PastFX can do a mod to make the Chorus Ensemble Mini true bypass so the preamp isn't active when the modulation is disengaged, like it is on the original CE-1 - I think you just specify when ordering. :)

Wow another fantastic video Joe!!! I really enjoyed that!!!

Im curious have you ever played thru the Retro-Sonic Chorus by chance?

coopdeville78

Had a ripply fall and couldn't get on with the waterfall side. The top end seemed to have a nasty high pitched sheen to it which gave me a headache when I played it.
I had a similar experience. Really thought it would be great, but I knew it wasn’t my thing as soon as I heard the shrill top-end.

etc

I've never owned an original CE-1 but this is the one I have. Sounds pretty awesome to me and was worth the price. Great company too!

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
I’m on the hunt for a new chorus pedal. I gravitate towards the Boss CE-1/2 type tones. I’ve had the retro sonic a few times and always enjoyed it but thought it was maybe a little dry compared to the waza ce-1 mode. I’m hoping for recommendations for a chorus in that same vein but must be true bypass as I use chorus before fuzz a lot(gasp!) and the buffers of the boss kill most of my fuzzes. Extra points if you know a good boss dimension clone too!
Some contenders I’ve looked at
Jam Pedals Waterfall
Providence Anadime Chorus- 3/4
JHS Emperor-not a true CE type but sounds close

Or another retro sonic...
Adjectives are subjective descriptors but I've never thought of my Retro-Sonic Chorus as "dry", especially compared to the CE-2 I bought in 1979. I find the RS to be infinitely more "dimensional" than the CE-2, which, after some decades sounded "static" and, um, I guess, "dry".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom