Recommendations for a clear, low output neck pickup to match the T-top in my SG?

thrashmetl

So I've got a Bacchus SG, amazing, pulled the stock pickups, JB/59 types, and pulled the ReWind JPPost72's that I won here a while back from my LP and dropped them in the SG. I'd heard T-tops sound great in SG's and the ReWind bridge, a T-top clone, does sound amazing. The neck pickup though is a PAF type at 8.2k with a highly degaussed UOA5, just isn't working in the SG, though it did work pretty well in the LP. While it has great character, it just doesn't have the clarity I need in a neck pickup. I was thinking that I would just get another T-top clone for the neck, but I put the bridge in the neck to experiment, and while it had the clarity I craved, it just didn't have much character for some reason. I kind of remember this being the case too when I played my friends '78 LP Custom too so I think k just don't like T-top necks.

Now the ReWind bridge T-top is 7.5k with a Short A5 magnet, what neck PAF type would you recommend to match that in the neck? I'm thinking A2 pickups probably won't work because of the lack of pick attack compared to A5, but I'm open to suggestions.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
I think a perfect compliment to a T-top in the bridge position is a Shaw in the neck. Shaws LOVE the neck position in just about any guitar. They're about as PAF as you can get.

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I'd ask James at Rewind. I'm looking for a brighter neck pup than I have and he suggested one of his Low Output bridge pups with A2.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Lollar low wind. Or if you can find a pair of fire/ice from Will Boggs (WB) the ice is great on an SG.

BADHAK

While not really low output, the 490 498s set in my 05 STD have a nice clear neck sound.
Alot depends on your amp. When i first got the SG, my gigging rig was a Strat into Landry ls100 g3....sounded great,but no amount of tweaking would get me a nice clear rhythm sound on the SG neck pickup. Bridge was abit hot and middy too,making me think i should get a nice low wind boutique set in there. Then i got a 1980 jmp 2203 and its like that guitar and amp are made for each other, and the neck pickup is totally usable from 1-10 on the guitar vol. Same with the 79 2203 i bought next.

Coldacre

I'd ask James at Rewind. I'm looking for a brighter neck pup than I have and he suggested one of his Low Output bridge pups with A2.
this. no one knows the T Top bridge better than he. he'll wind exactly what you want.

hotmod

I've had good balance by using Gibson 496's in the neck position. Besides the fact that the idea of using ceramic magnets might not agree with you,you might be suprised by the results if you pair it with an alnico type bridge pickup.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Humbucker from Hell (Dimarzio), Full Shred neck (Duncan). Ignore the names. Both very clear, articulate neck pickups, not high output.

groovington

You may want to try a Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pickup... No kidding! Very clear and articulate with a nice touch of brightness, while still being very warm, and can balance with a bridge pickup really nice.

sosomething

Humbucker from Hell (Dimarzio), Full Shred neck (Duncan). Ignore the names. Both very clear, articulate neck pickups, not high output.
This is a great, if unconventional recommendation.

The Full Shred and Screamin' Demon lines have long been considered to be almost inappropriately named. In the case of the Full Shred neck, we're looking at a DC resistance of under 8k, which is in PAF territory. Obviously it's voiced differently, but it's certainly not a high output pickup.