Recommendations for a delay/looper with an emphasis on a live-friendly looper?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jupiter Tarts, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

So I jumped on the Digitech Hardwire DL8 on the musiciansfriend deals and like the delay but find the looper underwhelming. I essentially have one loop, 20 seconds (not even enough time for a 12 bar blues) and no overdubbing. The delays are rather nice though and I can't complain with the $60 I spent on it, but it has given me a taste of what I really want.

Here is what I'm looking for in a looper

1. Tap tempo or a midi sync (so i can tap tempo on a separate pedal maybe)
    2. Overdubbing
    3. An undo button
    4. Good rudimentary delays. At the bare minimum, a tape delay and a ping pong because. . . .
    5. Stereo output. I run a two amp rig with ping pong delay between two amps. When I'm not lazy anyway :D

Bonus for being a two channel looper

Here's a little background to my setup. I play with a group and like to use delays for trippy sounds but I also sometimes do solo acoustic stuff on my own for open mics. I'd like to have live-friendly looper that I can rip take off the pedal board and take by itself when I need to.

On paper, the TC Electronic Alter Ego x4 seems to fulfill all my needs but I'd like to take a few recommendations from everyone before I start hunting one down online.

2. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

I've got the Jamman Stereo, but I think what you want is the discontinued Digitech Jamman Delay/Looper. Mine does just about everything you are looking for, but the Delay/looper has your added delay effect and they are a bargain right now.

3. technicoloraudio

technicoloraudio Supporting Member

As a looper activist, I recommend keeping your delay and looper separate, if you can afford to. I feel strongly that you would experience greater satisfaction that way.

4. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

:omg Good lord. Forget having this on my pedalboard. This thing is a pedalboard in of itself. Although I do love the multichannel option. Gonna keep my eye on this on ebay.

This was my original plan actually. My original plan to get a looper with midi sync and a delay with midi sync so that they wouldn't drift out of whack when I used them together. Then I got overzealous and realized a couple of loopers came with delay as an added bonus. I'd consider putting an axe to the plan of a looper/delay if I can find the right combination of synced looper and delay.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yea I picked one of the JM Delays used like new for $170 on eBay about 2+ years ago. It is a pedalboard all on its own. The delay section is actually very nice, 3 presets and tap tempo. Those 2 modify knobs in delay section are a nice touch, doing dif functions depending on which delay mode your in.

Nice feature is you can plug a exp pedal in back and control loop or delay vol. Nice to fade out loop as you keep your dry through intact. Also added 32GB card, extra fs3x foot and rigged up my own FABE so I can store loops without bending over, it's maxed out.

Are loops Pigtronic Infinity quality, no, but their very usable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]