Recommendations for a Hofner Beatle-bass sound?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by infiniteposse, Sep 1, 2006.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

I recently found an old late 60's semi-hollowbody bass that does the Hofner sound pretty well, but I think gigging with it would be a bad idea as it's a little on the fragile side of things and the tuning floats a bit.

I was curious what else was out there that does this sound well and could hold up to gigging? Whenever I see actual Hofners they always seem to cost an arm and a leg, so I'm curious if there's a more economic solution and if not, is there something superior to the Hofner for the money?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Lee

[​IMG]

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Try out Ibanez's artcore series they have several hoolowbody basses that should be very similar to that one.

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have an early 70s Hofner, and it works very well for my bass gigs. Nothing else sounds like it.

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

Hofner has a new made in China line coming out called the Icon Series. One is pretty much like the 500/1 and the other has a solid center block. They are going to be priced pretty cheap, with the cheapest being about $350 or so! Here's one retailer that sells them.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/index.html

5. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

Galveston has a Chinese made copy that you can get for under $300. It has that short scale hollowbody tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

I took a good look at current build Hofners and the Chinese ones mentioned as well. It looks like the chinese ones are all laminate, etc. The build on proper german ones looks quite high quality.

Has anyone bought a current build Hofner lately? They look rather lovely, but not cheap. I always regret buying something of totally inferior build, so it may be a case of saving up pennies and speaking with Santa Claus.

Also, are there any Japanese-built alternatives out there anyone knows of? Korean and Chinese built instruments just never seem to wow me. The Japanese on the other hand seem to build some nice instruments.

Thanks again!

Lee

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

There's a bunch of German Hofner 500/1 players at BeatGearCavern.com that might be able to assist you with information on the current models. In fact, there's a pretty active discussion regarding the differences between the new Chinese made ones and the originals.

8. Boomer

Boomer Member

I miss my 64 500/1 a lot and a replacement is on my list but ...

I've been faking it with a Dano Longhorn with flatwounds on it. Not the same but not too far off.

9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

When I was about a sophomore in high school, approximately 1970 or 1971, there was a band that came thru all the schools and played for assemblies. the bass player had a Hofner beatle bass and a white Kustom 200 head with two white Kustom 2x15 bottoms with D140s. I still remember that being one of the best bass tones I ever heard. He used a pick but this rig had the deepest bass I ever heard and with a sweet click of the pick it was a beautiful thing to hear. I can see why you guys want that sound.

10. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

The key to the tone I think is the short scale and the flatwound strings.

I have a Club Bass that is a blast to play.

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got a Beatle Bass that was picked up for me in Germany in 1965. It is s/n 937. It's been rode hard and put away wet many times as it was my only gigging bass all through high school and college. It cost me a whole $129 including shipping. No sense letting it go now. It still sounds great and is a real attention getter when I bring it out. However, it is in semiretirement these days.

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

Also check out VoxTalks.com, there's probably link to both sites from both sites, and the guy that runs BeatGearCarvern is a VoxTalks regular as well. Plus, both are really fun sites for Beatle fans. These guys know EVERYTHING Beatles.

Speculation on VoxTalks is the Chinese Hofner is similar to a Turser or Rogue in quality, but has the Hofner name on it. There's a discussion going on it right now on VoxTalks. Many of those guys are pretty excited to get their hands on one.

13. photoguy

photoguy Member

Not to pick a nit...but simply to offer a correction...there's a fair amount of bad mojo between these two sites. Too long of a history to get into here, but lets just say its best not to mention one site on the other.:Devil

And FWIW, I agree that they're both good sites for all things Beatles and Beatles gear related information.

14. suttree

suttree Member

cigar box and rubber bands??:D

15. scottlr

scottlr Member

Oooh, you are right, I was thinking about BeatlesGear.com. Name is so similar ;) I stand corrected LOL

Why those boys can't play nice with their Beatles gear is beyond me LOL