Recommendations for a Limiter for headphone practice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Yonatan, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Yonatan

Yonatan Member

Can anyone recommend a limiter for headphone practice?

I often practice guitar through headphones, and recently had the unpleasant experience of stomping on a delay pedal that had its feedback maxed out, which I'd like to prevent next time.

Since it looks like limiter units are 1. rack units 2. big bucks!, I'm thinking of either of these solutions:
    1. Headphone amp w/built in limiter
    2. Putting a compressor pedal last in the chain. If I understand it would need to have a. infinite compression b. immediate attack (maybe the Boss bass limiter?)

What do you recommend (say budget is ~$100, to start)?

2. misa

misa Supporting Member

For headphone practice can you go digital?

3. Yonatan

Yonatan Member

Regarding digital, if you mean a computer, I don't have a workstation or laptop that is easily accessible, but I would be open to using some kind of multi-effects unit that had a reliable limiter. (As it is I'm using a multi-effects unit last in my chain, only to provide some stereo reverb, but it doesn't have a limiter).

4. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

The FMR RNC would do the trick. New it's $175 but you can probably find one used for much less.

5. Yonatan

Yonatan Member

I'll take a look at the FMR RNC.

For a cheaper solution, what about something like the Zoom MS60B (designed for bass) which includes a limiter (the guitar model - MS50G - does not include a limiter)? The Boss bass limiter (LMB-3) is even cheaper...

And I can't help but think that this is the wrong tool for the wrong job. So what about this? Peavey HB2 Headphone Amplifier

6. Yonatan

Yonatan Member

Does anyone have experience with this?

Rolls PM55P Stereo Personal Monitor Amplifier with Optical Limiter

7. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Rolls makes a headphone amp with a limiter for around $75. Peavey makes one too, I believe.