Recommendations for a simple, clean sounding, warm digital delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by halfmanhalfgear, Apr 25, 2015.

1. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Hi all,

I know there's always tonnes of similar requests but I'm really stuck on this one.

I want a simple delay pedal IDEALY with a tone control that has CLEAN repeats at longer times (no white noise, ring modulation, hissing or grainy artefacts).

I want delay times up to a maximum of 600ms and so far I've had the following:

Earth Quaker Devices Disaster Transport Junior: while publicised as 625ms maximum time, mine is 500ms and there is background noise on the longer repeats. The tone control can mask these but the resulting delay is way too dark and muffled.

Wampler Faux Tape Delay: Capable of up to 800ms, but again, at these longer delay times there is a lot of background noise.

Wampler Faux Analog Delay: My favourite so far, but despite being advertised as having 600ms, mine was nearer 425ms! There was no background noise on the longer repeats but maybe this was due to the fact that it couldn't do delays longer than 425ms!

Retro Sonic Delay: Up to 800ms of delay but the repeats are way too distorted and have too much back ground noise. The tone control doesn't really do anything between its two extremities and either leaves the delay either too dark and muffled or grainy and distorted.

Hardwire Delay DL-8: This one has been the best so far as it can do long delay times in analog, tape and Lo-Fi styles. It hasn't got a tone control though and the enclosure is larger than I would like. (I'm also not crazy about the switch and would prefer the all metal clicking type.)

The success of the Hardwire pedal has made me think that an analog-voiced, digital pedal is the only way to go if I want clean repeats, but without a separate tone control any delay pedal is risky -because if I don't like the sound there's no way to modify it!

Has anyone any suggestions before I have to drop another shed load of cash on untried delays?! Many thanks!

Peace,

Rob.

2. lhama

lhama Member

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

You want a DD-3 with a hi cut cap on the level control.

4. jujube

jujube Member

DD-2 would also work

5. sleewell

sleewell Member

6. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, I'd say a DD2 or a big chip, early DD3. They are digital but have a lot of warmth, kind of middle of the road between analog and digital.

7. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Sounds like a ML Jr. to me, seriously.

A DD-7 might work too or a Analog Man missed Boss DD-whatever, if you want the digital sound that's kinda warm-ish, but not as warm as ML Jr.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

9. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Tech21 boost DLA.

10. earwax

earwax Member

I think the the memory lane jr would work as well minus your need for tone control. It has very nice modulation. I wouldn't exactly call the repeats clean.

Something that might work better is the Free the Tone Flight time Delay. It's warm and more clean than the MLjR and has tone control. It's pretty simple to use. Downsides are it requires 400ma and 12v for power. So you need some sort of pedal power like the voodoo labs digital or equivalent if you don't want to used the provided power supply.

11. Unadan

Unadan Member

Obscura in for the win.

12. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

You might want to check out the Strymon Brigadier and/or El Capistan. Both can get pristine (the Capistan more so) and offer the ability to get more analog, warm, and dirty if you want.

13. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

You've got one? Please start a thread and talk about this!

14. CanadyInsanityFX

CanadyInsanityFX Member

Most PT2399 delays are voiced to sound analog and warm...they also are capable of pretty long delay times. If you push them too long though, the delays do get a little noisy. Not bad, but not super crisp, if that makes sense.

The Deep Blue Delay is PT2399 based I believe...also check out the Rebote 2.5 delay or Echobase if you want to look into building one yourself.

15. theroan

theroan Member

16. LPVM

LPVM Member

+1

I've been stacking mine with a DE7 and it's awesome.

17. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up one of the older gold models for $100 to mate with a 600ms Retro-Sonic. It provides a very useful tone control to get the Boss DD-2 clean repeats needed for the John Jorgenson dotted 8th at one end, or an analog-like warmth at the other, a nice moderate modulation, two-tap tempo with a soft switch, a warm and useful boost, and plenty of delay time. Exactly what I have been looking for the few times when the above features are need.

Better than the TC Nova, Repeater, or Flashback, both Wamplers, various Bosses, and so on for the above needs.

18. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

The visual sound tap delay is fantastic.

19. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

Agreed!

20. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

ML Jr
    El Cap
    Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails (stunning analog sounds)
    Flight Time