Recommendations for a warmer version of a V30?

iam_krash

Gold Supporting Member
Tried celestion neo dog/vintage neos...too icy picky for me...can't seem to dial it out...also have V30's(made in China), mids are articulate but brutal...
Looking for something with out the ice pick ...I use rack gear preamps...my power amp is an Engl 920 at 50 watts per side.
I play classic rock to 80's metal...something with forward mids, just smoother/darker. Picking up a cab with elite 80's today...any thoughts on those or recommendations, I'd prefer to stay with celestions

MHG

Not fimilar? Is it new?

Yeah, it's pretty new. Fane has a new line of speakers being sold via Avatar Speakers. The H75, and M65, are made specifically to Avatar's specs, and are sold as Avatar speakers. The H75 sounds just amazing with gain. I prefer the M65, as I'm all about clean to slight breakup tones, but the H75 is more in line with what you're looking for, and it does it really, really, well.

Why are you partial to Celestion? You can get what you need from other brands as well. The Eminence Governor is a Celestion V30 competitor, WGS has the Veteran.

FourT6and2

Silver Supporting Member
The Mesa V30 is slightly darker and less harsh than the Chinese V30. Maybe give that a try. Wire 'em up to run your amp at 8ohms and it will reduce a bit of high-end as well.

Another option is the newer Creamback 75.

Basic familiarity... In addition, If I don't like a celestion, I can generally get most of the $$$ when re selling
Then perhaps you'll end up selling quite a few of them should Celestion not be to your liking, won't you. ;)

I'd suggest the WGS Retro, the Weber Thames (or better yet: the FC12 w. a different dustcap), the Weber ceramic Blue Dog and the Weber V.

ekkybedmond

Talk to the Weber folks, CJ or TA. they are members and have posted their emailadresses

maybe a Weber V with a large dustcap and/or a different size magnet. Maybe the Gray Wolf is an option (acc to Weber NOT a V30 variety, but a 'mix' of qualities).

ekkybedmond

Then perhaps you'll end up selling quite a few of them should Celestion not be to your liking, won't you. ;)

I'd suggest the WGS Retro, the Weber Thames (or better yet: the FC12 w. a different dustcap), the Weber ceramic Blue Dog and the Weber V.

I thought that WGS advertise their Retro as a brighter V30, while OP seeks a warmer speaker ??

Just my 2$cts

Asmoother /darker Celestion, wouldn't that be a G12-65 (or Webers Reinhardt speaker, which resembles a G12-65, but with a heavy magnet, only 2nd hand mind).

Roccorobb

Celestion g12h100 or eminence governor, as stated above. These are the speakers I still own after the "v30 without the pain" hunt. Great voices in both.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
Tried celestion neo dog/vintage neos...too icy picky for me...can't seem to dial it out...also have V30's(made in China), mids are articulate but brutal...
Looking for something with out the ice pick ...I use rack gear preamps...my power amp is an Engl 920 at 50 watts per side.
I play classic rock to 80's metal...something with forward mids, just smoother/darker. Picking up a cab with elite 80's today...any thoughts on those or recommendations, I'd prefer to stay with celestions
The WGS Veteran 30 is what you seek

candid_x

I thought that WGS advertise their Retro as a brighter V30, while OP seeks a warmer speaker ??
The Veteran is much warmer than the V30. The Retro is closer to a V30 but is still warmer. Both are in the V30 camp sound wise.

The G12-65 or WGS ET-65 are a whole other ballgame.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom