Recommendations For An Electronic Tanpura

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stonergrunge, May 18, 2015.

1. Stonergrunge

Stonergrunge Member

Well, this is an electronic thing so I don't see a problem about posting it here.

I began with my research about this device a few days ago and apparently there are no reviews or comparisons about the current models available around the internet. In case you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, this is an acoustic tanpura (also known as tamboura or tampura):

This instrument has been used a lot in tons and tons of records but since its size and cost, the electronic tanpuras became a good alternative due to their price (obviously more cheap) and portability:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...npura.TRS0&_nkw=electronic+tanpura&_sacat=619

My main problem is that I don't know which model is more recommended and I don't want to waste my savings on a piece of crap. I know this is not the usual topic discussed here but I'm taking my chance anyway... Cheers!

2. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

I have an older model Raagini. I like it. Never played the newer ones. Looks like the current versions are easier to dial in.

Are you going to use it live or is it just for recording?

I'd imagine the smart phone apps are just as decent sounding.

3. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

This has sparked my attention: available for Iphone
    iTanpura - Tanpura Player By Prasad Upasani
    I have a 12 year old Raagini pro, that seem to have developed a weird (non musical) buzz in certain settings the last few years. I am on Android, but I keep thinking that i'll go this route when I make a switch to iphone. There are android versions also, but I don't have much info on them.

4. Stonergrunge

Stonergrunge Member

I'm thinking about getting one for a few songs, but mostly for improvisations and recording. I don't have a band so the idea of playing live is impossible.

5. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

If you have a smartphone, I'd say look into an app. It'll probably sound just as good as a stand alone box and it'll be cheaper.

6. Dandolin

Dandolin Member

I have a few of the apps- one good thing about them is you can get a good feel for what features you like before making a larger investment in a stand-alone unit....

7. aisling

iTanpura can adjust tempo much easier than the hardware unit I own. I just re-watched the demo vid, and I actually think it blows my hardware device away. Once I make the Iphone switch, this will be a definite buy for me.
    http://www.upasani.org/home/iTanpura.html#widget4

8. Stonergrunge

Stonergrunge Member

The iTanpura looks cool indeed... but an app? mmmmm smartphones usually come and go in my life... but gear? That's a whole different story. I don't know, I need to think about it for a while.

9. aisling

You bring up a worthy point, which explains why after years of soft synth use, and having a fairly decent array of soft synths, I bought 2 moogs....