Recommendations for Buying MS Office for a Mac

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ronmail65, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Just got a Macbook Pro laptop -- I'm converting from a PC. I was using a very old version of Office on my PC, now I feel it's time to upgrade. I didn't realize there were the 365 options - not sure which might be best for me or what others have experienced.

- I have lots of Excel and Word files for personal use. I really don't need Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, etc... for personal use.

Please reply with your recommendations and experiences. Thanks!

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

If you don't need Outlook, get the home or personal (or whatever the hell it's called) edition.

The only reason I upgraded to the office/business edition was to get Outlook.

3. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

if you don't need outlook, why not just use open office? it keeps getting better with each release. and the best part is, the price.. $0.00 :)
    if they keep it on the path its going, the will be zero reason to buy MS Office.. I stopped using office in 2010, and haven't looked back yet.

4. JDC

JDC Member

Open Office (or Office Libre) +1

5. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Open Office compatible with MS Word (i.e., will your colleagues using MS curse you when you send them a word doc.)?

6. JDC

JDC Member

7. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

I use LibreOffice. Been happy with it for a long time.

I switched to it from open office years ago but I can't remember exactly why.

8. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

With Office 365, you are essentially renting you Office programs... On this subscription model you get to use the latest version available, so when the next Mac Office is release... Rumour points to late in the year, you would be able to upgrade to this as part of the subscription.

I use office heavily with work on a PC and tend to use iWork apps on my Mac and iOS devices... Considerably cheaper and does the job for me.

Oh... If you have an office365 subscription you also get the iOS office Apps too.

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Pages and Numbers (which both come free on all new Macs) are basically Word and Excel in native Mac form and can create .doc and .docx files with ease. Or you could use the personal/student edition of Office for Mac 2013, which I think is $109. Or like some have said, try the free stuff and see if that works for you.

Like GAD, the only reasons I have the business edition on my MacBook is A.) I needed Outlook for work and most of all B.) My boss made me put Office on it over my protests to keep all MS software off of my Mac...

10. claudel

claudel Member

I don't need to use Outlook, so I decided to skip the Office experience after I recently upgraded.

Like Peteyvee said, Pages & Numbers work fine for most cases...

11. wyatt

wyatt Member

If just using Word and Excel, I see no need for Office365. You could get a decade or more out of those programs...there aren't significant features left to add. 365 is best for offices that will make use of the integrated email service, collaboration tools, etc.

You can buy the Home and Student Office for Mac for $129 or, as noted, Open Office, LibreOffice, Google Docs/Sheets, and plenty of others are available for free that can easily handle DOC, DOCX, and XLS, XLSX files.

12. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

+ 1 for LibreOffice

13. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Unless you have VB script enabled documents and you want to continue using those macros in VB, and the fact that office is a superior product.

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Count me as a guy who just prefers the MS suite.

I got the office one, since I need Outlook, but if you get the regular one and change your mind, I think you can still purchase an Outlook license later one.

The 365 thing is bogus. I'd rather just buy the program and know it'll always work on my computer.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

If your just a basic user and don't need all the advance features of MS office just get Libre office. You'll be just fine. I work in printing and graphics and that's all our macs have, you can always export to PDF on Mac (it's built into OS) when sending files to others so the formatting and font issues of the past are a non-issue these days.

16. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

BONUS - just realized I could qualify for a higher education discount. I can get it for $10.

17. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I put Libre on my new build and am very pleased.Free is hard to beat too.

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

There you go. At that price, why wouldn't you get the best there is?