Recommendations for classical guitar strings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Serious Poo, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I need to restring my Esteve 1GR08 classical guitar, and really don't know who makes decent nylon strings these days. Any recommendations?

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

It's been years since I played classical but D'Addario Pro Artes were one of my favorites (good tone and very consistent) and I've noticed some current players use them.

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

D'Addario Pro Arte hard tension for me, since I was a classical guitar major in college in the early 80's

4. Robertito

Robertito Member

Pro Artes are nice, but they're known for having a neutral sound (not much personality). Try them, but also try Galli "Genius" strings and Savarez, both of which are pretty popular with concert guitarists these days.

5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Hannabach Silver Specials
    When I was playing a lot, I got all cork sniffery about it and put Hannabach Silver specials on the bass strings with Savarez on the trebles. Sounded and felt great on my guitar (spruce top Haggenlocher Bouchet). But buying two packs of stings for every change got a bit out of hand...so I've calmed down and just use the Hannabachs now.

[​IMG]

D'Addarios go on the Soloette for practice only...

EDIT: Robertito's advice is spot on. I'd go buy a bunch of different ones and try them all over a span of a few months. (That's exactly what I did anyway..took a year). Use the ProArte as a baseline and go from there. Definitely recommend trying Hannabach and Savarez, although availability is also a factor.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I love Savarez Alliance strings. Lots of snap.

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

Recovering classical cork sniffer here... Former pro, gigging, touring, teaching etc. ...

Have tried them all (Savarez, LaBella, Hannabach etc...) Always went back to D'Addario Pro Arte. They are the only strings I'm aware of that have any sense of consistency with intonation (particularly on the 2nd string; find me 2 LaBella or Savarez sets that have good intonation, and I'll say you should start buying lottery tickets!)

That "neutral sound" is exactly what you want to bring out the sound of a nicely built guitar.

Common misconception is that hard tension sounds better... They're a bit louder, but normal, or regular tension give off a nice even round tone and tend to be much more touch responsive to dynamics. This was suggested to me by David Russell (what the hell would he know?), and after trying it, I never went back!

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. I think I'll start out with the D'Addario Pro Arte's and go from there. Thanks again!

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Just curios, do they still make Concertiste? I used to love their trebles. Like paraedolia above I used to mix and match - using Augustine blue label wound strings with the Concertiste trebles. Then Augustine (do they still make these?) came out with the Imperial Trebles and I liked them a lot, but thery were inconsistent on the intonation - some sets would intonate very well others were horrible. When I found the Pro Artes, they seemed to be everything I was looking for (well, I think I still slightly prefer the Augustine wound strings, but just slightly) and were very consistent.

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I play an Esteve model 8 and always use Augutine blues. I like the feel of the trebles. And the consistency is there.
    The Hannebachs are great too.

11. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

My luthier recommends Luthier

12. EDS

EDS Supporting Member

I completely agree with the above - sometimes Savarez Alliance were nice - the basses had a big (almost too big) sound and the trebles were really bright and bold.

But now, for practical reasons, I just use Pro Arte Normal tension - you hardly ever get bad ones, they're cheap, and sound great if you got a good guitar to play them on. I also agree that higher tension doesn't sound better...of course, playing style, aesthetic taste, and your instrument come into play, so go buy a bunch of different ones. I think different nylon strings have a greater tonal variance than steel strings.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I agree....I just use them because on my guitar they feel better

David Russell is awesome, but YMMV....

14. paaes335

paaes335 Member

From a gigging Classical player- try Aquilla Alchemia. Not cheap, about $30 for normal tension but by far the best strings I've ever used.
    They're known for nylgut, supposed to give you the tone of original gut strings. Can't say I know the dif since I started playing long after nylon strings came around. Before I tried them I was ready to sell my 86
    L. Pimentel Grand Concert. They brought this guitar back to life!
    You might sacrifice a little volume with the Alchemia but the tone more than makes up for it.
    D'Addario Pro Arte and Luthier brand strings are great also and easy to find.

15. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Lorenzo makes aweome awesome guitars! They have made a few for me. Back when I bought my last one in the early '90s, Lorenzo was only making the Grand Concerts. They are the ones that told me to buy Luthiers strings back then. Rick and Robert were doing most of the day-to-day operations. Have you had yours a while?

16. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Supporting Member

Put me down as another D'Addario Pro Arte user.