Recommendations for clean, dynamic, brilliant, "punchy" amp...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tom P., Mar 17, 2006.

1. Tom P.

Tom P. Member

Hi everybody! :)

I'm currently owning an Orange Rockerverb 50 head and Marshall 4x12 100W cab (grey cloth) and am searching for a replacement... not that it wouldn't sound great, but at the moment I'm searching for a completely different sound.

My Orange's clean channel sounds fat, nice, warm and - compressed... but:

I'm searching for an amp with an edgy, aggressive, brilliant, "punchy" and dynamic clean sound. The clean sound is the absolute priority, distortion is not much of an issue, I could even live with some pedals like the TC VPD1 or something like that, if the amp whose clean sound I like most would have only one channel.
    So I want the sound to jump out of the speaker and attack me ;-) when I hit the strings (I play mostly Fender guitars with single coils) - it would be nice if the amp's sound would emphasize the guitar's "twang" sound.

Possiblities:
    a.) I sell both my Orange head and the Marshall cab and get a combo
    b.) I sell only the Orange head and get a new head (for the cab, that is ;-)) - my Marshall cab sounds pretty cool and I don't think I should replace it with another cab

What I've though about until now is:
    - Vox AC 30 (either a used one from the nineties or a new CC one)
    - Framus Ruby Riot
    - Fender (but which model...?)

Any recommendations / other suggestions?
    I'm in Germany, so small US boutique amp builders might be a problem because it would be pretty much impossible to find one here to check it out and they would probably be insanely expensive...

thanks a lot :)

Tom

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Twang? Brilliant? Punchy?

It's fairly obvious to me that you want a vintage Fender sound, such as a Twin or Super Reverb, or a modern adaptation of it more or less updated, like a Two-Rock or Bruno or Carr.

The Vox and Framus are not designed to give you twang, they have other cool things going on.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Tone King will do exactly what your talking about. They are huge sounding, very clean (almost hi-fi) with the best reverb (I've ever heard). They are class A 6V6 amps that put out about 40 clean watts.

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I'm searching for an amp with an edgy, aggressive, brilliant, "punchy" and dynamic clean sound. The clean sound is the absolute priority, distortion is not much of an issue. So I want the sound to jump out of the speaker and attack me ;-) when I hit the strings (I play mostly Fender guitars with single coils).

Matchless Clubman. Lightning-quick attack and brilliant, steely top end. I'm a humbucker guy - your single coils will be even brighter and quicker, with clean for days. Should be findable in Germany, but they ain't cheap even in the US. =K

5. Tom P.

Tom P. Member

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions so far.
    I think the "Tone King" definitely falls under the category "small US boutiqe amp builder", which is not an option for me, as I said...
    I'll try if I find a Matchless somewhere here, but chances are also not too good, I think...
    But the Fenders should be no problem around here :)

What I did not state clearly enough and I could add here is, that a second gain channel would be nice of course, it's just that the clean one is more important and I'd do all compromises as long as the clean channel is great.
    To make it short: I'd prefer a 2 channel amp, but could live with one that only has a single channel.

greetings,

Thomas

6. tjs

tjs Senior Member

www.kingsleyamplifiers.com

He's a small Canadian builder, so you almost certainly wouldn't be able to find one in Germany. However, it is exactly what you are looking for.

7. Tom P.

Tom P. Member

Oh wow... that's *wonderful*... I had a listen at those mp3 samples... did you really have to point me to something that cool located where it would be insane to order it from Germany? ;-)
    Also it's a bit too expensive for me, my maximum is around $1700...

:)

Tom

8. FrankW

FrankW Member

+1

I actually own a Kingsley Deluxe 50 1x12 Combo that does exactly what you are looking for (at least with the new Tonker speaker). The soundclips on the Kingsley site are pretty accurate. It is not cheap, though. But even with the shipping to Germany it was cheaper than a Matchless.
    Tschüß,
    Frank

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

sorta taking cues from the bass world,

but bigger wattage and smaller speakers help give you a punchier, literally knock you over kinda push of air.

i might be talking out of my butt (and someone correct me PLEEZ!), but bigger iron / transformers / wattage gives you more power to push those low notes which need more energy to push out at a rate similar to the higher frequencies. i.e. fletcher munson.

while, 12" speakers are the norm for us guitar doods, smaller speakers like 10" respond much faster which assists in giving you that punch.

with that said, a nice Super Reverb, or better yet, anything boutique w/ at least 100 watts running thru a quad of 10", would give you practically a bass guitar like slam in the chest. i'm sure Steve Carr (always a fan), Mike Clark (new BIG fan), Ben Fargen (love his fendery amps), or Dave Allen (another fender freak) can cook you up an Twin Reverb style amp (80-100 watts) into a 4x10 combo setup.

again, NOT TALKING ABOUT VOLUME, but rather the ability to push those lower mids and low end to give you that sensation of punch. when you dig in hard, slammin' those hard transients, you'll have the extra horsepower in reserves to slam them out.

10. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I haven't played one, but from what you're describing, a Reeves (modern Hiwatt) might be a good choice as well. The 50-watt head is $1795...

11. Tom P.

Tom P. Member

Also nice. Pretty cool distorted sounds, too. You mentioned Hiwatt - what about Hiwatts themselves? Used amps are of course also an option...

best,

Tom

12. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Tom, check your personal messages in the top right of the screen - I sent you a message with some SPAM!

Chris

13. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

+1 on the Kingsley.

Simon has a rep in the UK, I'm sure he can get an amp to you without too much hassle or expense. Tremendous amps, just what you're looking for I believe...email Simon.

14. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Kind of sounds like a description of a Hiwatt. There always seems to be a DR103 up for sale. You could also try and find one of those 200 watt ones, but it might be like trying to kill a fly with a nuke.

15. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

I'm selling a rig like that on Ebay: 1980 Hiwatt DR 504 + 410 Marshall cab Celestion G10L 35. Plenty of punch & clarity. I'm in france.
    Please forgive the spam :rolleyes: !

16. Tom P.

Tom P. Member

Hm, the most votes go for Hiwatt a the moment... :)
    The most amps I've never played but only know from the Line6 POD... judging from those models, I'd prefer Fender or the AC30 over the Hiwatt, but well, that's only the stupid Line6 models, of course...
    I'm going to check out some amps tomorrow in the local music stores here and will pay special attention to Hiwatts. It should be possible to find a Hiwatt somewhere around here...

How are the old 103s compared to the current series (custom 50 or 100)? Did anybody compare them?

greetings & many, many thanks to everybody who replied so far!! You guys are great and really helpfull! :)

Tom

17. Neil

Neil Member

For sure the biggest clean sound you can get. Hi Fi style. A good pedal will give you the crunch.

I have the one with the 6 el34s. I havent heard the one with the 4 kt88s.

It doesnt twang as much as a fender. If you want twang and huge head room get a modern fender dual pro. Amazing amp.

I sold mine to get the Hiwatt as I dont twang very well.

Cheers
    Neil

18. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've got a Rockerverb--which I just love--and an Ampeg VT-40 which is an excellent compliment. The RV is tremendous at the extremes (ultra clean and ultra dirty) and not as good at the in-betweens; and it doesn't take pedals all that well, IMO. Where as the Ampeg has great big cleans and is excellent at the mild crunch "in-between" type sounds. And it takes most pedal REALLY well.

In fact, I'd look into the entire Ampeg V-Series amps (e.g., VT-22, VT-40, V2, V4, GV22). The cleans will knock your socks off. They can do the punchiest (and some of the biggest) cleans I've ever heard. And they're very, very good wtih pedals and get their own righteous dirty sounds as well, staying notably tighter than Fenders.

And to top it off...they're still a real bargain. Turn up on EBay, H-C, Craigslist, etc, all the time.

19. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

+1 on the Matchless Clubman. I grew up w/Marshalls, Fenders, moved on to almost everyting you can imagine - the Clubman fit the bill & ended my search. Stick an OCD in front of input #2, crank the Master, every other knob at 12 noon or a bit lower, and you've got the perfect clean, stomp on the OCD & there's the crunch. Or use input #1 & get a dynamic, steely crunch that evokes AC/DC, Zep, Crowes, etc. Quite the versatile amp & serious tone machine. It really is like a Hiwatt in many ways - any other Clubman owners agree?

20. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

No doubt, you are describing an old Hiwatt or new Reeves amp. You can probably find a used Hiwatt over there in Deutschland. viel Glueck!

:dude