Recommendations for iOS amplifier/monitors?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by cardinal, Apr 20, 2015.

1. cardinal

cardinal Member

I've been tinkering with JamUp/Bias on my phone and like them a lot through some ATH-50 cans. But I'd like some monitors/speakers too. This is just for playing around the house when I can't fire up the 4x12 for whatever reason.

It'd be great to have something Bluetooth and battery powered so that I can just pick up to wherever in the house and play a bit without getting tangled up. I see good reviews for the Bose Soundlink, and might go with that. Curious if you guys use anything similar.

2. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

I don't think you're going to be able to play and go via bluetooth to a speaker. The output is normally routed to whatever interface you are using. Even if you could, bluetooth is kind of slow for that and I don't think you'd like the 'feel of it'.

When I was looking for something quick and portable to use, I went with an i-Loud. It is rechargeable, super portable and has a basic iPhone guitar interface built in. That being said, I much prefer to use my regular interface that uses the lightning port when playing through the i-Loud because it sounds better and has no feedback.

The i-Loud does sound good though and also doubles as a bluetooth stereo speaker. You can get them on sale from time to time for about $225.

3. cardinal

cardinal Member

Good to know. I've been using an Apogee One into the phone, and I think I can listen in through the phone's headphone jack, but I'll double check (I've been using the Apogee's headphone out).

4. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Yes streaming music via bluetooth is different than streaming your guitar tone. The latency is just too great with Bluetooth - at least at this point.
    For guitar gear Blue tooth is used to change settings on patches or turn effects on/off, etc, But thats about it.

You might like the Yamaha THR or the L6 Amplifi. I had a THR and it is an excellent sounding unit for guitar or music playback - you could use the Aux in for your purpose.

5. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I've owned a THR, owned the Bose, tried an Amplifi, and currently own an iLoud. In my opinion the iLoud is easily the best for this purpose.

Amplifi won't use its guitar driver for amplifying the phone output. THR to me is inferior as a FRFR device, which it really isn't. Bose and other bluetooth speakers are tuned for pop music and for me aren't ideal for guitar amplification.

Just my experience, YMMV.

6. cardinal

cardinal Member

7. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Me too on the iLoud. One of the best purchases I've made and I don't even use the built in iRig. I just run a multieffect unit into the aux in.