Recommendations for live sound in-ear monitors/headphones

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarlix, Dec 22, 2009.

1. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

My shure E2Cs don't sound so hot plugged into the Aviom. The guitars sound tinny and harsh...nothing like the real thing.

Need some recommendations for either IEM or headphones that will reproduce that live soundstage back again through earphones.

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I like Westone products. It all started with them. The Aviom's are going to part of the problem also.

3. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

4. kangcore

kangcore Member

another vote for the futuresonics - specifically the Atrios with the custom-moulded Softerwear sleeves. i'm using these right now as my stage IEM. We're also running an Aviom system (via wireless beltpack).

i have field tested several IEMs (shure e2c, westone um1, UE Superfi 5pro) and I find the futuresonics IEMs to have the best bang for buck, and a sonic signature that matches my needs the best. don't let the "one driver" specification fool you - futuresonics use a dynamic driver, not a balanced armature like the westones or UEs. a dynamic driver reproduces a much wider frequency spectrum compared to a balanced armature. where the futuresonics IEMs are concerned, they can really reach deep into the sub-bass region. it doesn't do high end as well, but there's still plenty of clarity on tap. and anyway, too much high end tends to make my ears very fatigued after a long session.

if you're switching to a futuresonics atrio from an e2c it shouldn't be too drastic a change in sound signature for you. you'll definitely experience an improvement in clarity, as well as a seemingly overpowering low end - once your ears adjust you'll wonder how you managed to live without it! they've got very natural midrange reproduction, and it really works well for vocals and guitar. if its soundstage you're looking for, the stock atrios might not have a sufficiently wide soundstage for you - but with the custom moulded Softerwear tips, the soundstage expands considerably. really helps with stereo placement, especially if you're running a stereo ambient feed.

i've used these for when i'm singing and playing guitar, as well as for playing bass - the futuresonics atrios work wonders for these situations. i know a drummer who uses these for monitoring drums as well and he swears by em.

(edit) and to add on to holliman's comment that the aviom system is going to be part of the problem - yes, i agree with that as well. they have this really cold and harsh sonic character. i try to compensate by trimming a bit of high end but still... its not the best sounding system.

additionally, with IEMs, its almost always going to be a compromise - you get better control over your mix, better clarity etc but your guitar is going to still sound tinny and weird. i've not found a workaround to that, although getting a better IEM does help, as does miking up with several mics to help get a more organic sound going in the mix. most importantly i had to just get used to the way my guitar sounds through an IEM and learn to live with it.

5. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

I agree, you need dual drivers to get any sort of bass response though.

6. WKG

WKG Member

+1 for Futuresonics Atrios. I've had mine for over a year and love them.

7. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I was thinking triples. I have UM2's and they are great, but Westone just came out with universal fit triple drivers for under $400. I bet they really sound great.

8. kangcore

kangcore Member

if we're talking balanced armatures (think Westone, UE, JHAudio), yes you definitely need at least dual or triple drivers to get some kind of low end. with dynamic drivers (Futuresonics), you don't because dynamics reproduce a much wider frequency spectrum. just thought i'd clear that one up.

I've auditioned the Westone 3 before, found it to be rather dull and uninspiring in the top and low end department. Westones tend to have an overly neutral / dull response as compared to UEs (or Jays for that matter), which is fine if you're an audiophile seeking "neutrality" but I find that it doesn't work that well for rock music.

9. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Cool...thanks for the recommendations guys!

10. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I've been happy with livewires. I got them custom molded and use a sennheiser transmitter/reciever. Mine are dual driver, I see they have come out with a triple driver unit but why mess with what works?

My guitar sound is important to me but really it only took about 2 minutes of playing with the mic to get it where it sounded good in my IEMS.

I'll never go back to wedges..unless absolutely nesessary. In fact I turned down a fill-in gig last weekend because they wanted me to use a wedge and the drummer wasn't using a drum sheild -screw that sh*t. :aok

11. cheesey

cheesey Member

E5's way better than the E2's, would like to upgrade from psm 200 system though and maybe try some UE's.