recommendations for pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1-Take-Wonder, Nov 11, 2005.

1. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

I'm breaking down and putting together a pedal board...

I used to be a guitar-cable-amp guy but things are slowly finding their way in between me and my beloved amps as I do more "sideman" work.

I need to consolidate the growing collection of pedals into a easily packed/used case/bag. I REALLY don't want my tone to suffer coming out the other end of this monstrosity either. There are still times when I need to go straight through so that's a consideration.

In terms of wear & tear, it doesn't need to be able to go cross country three times in a semi or fall off an eight-foot stage. That's not exactly my arena...(chuckle)

I looked at pedalboard.com but they appear to be out of commission for a while. Any suggestions? I'd like to hear some favorites and why you like it.

2. ABKB

ABKB Member

http://www.pedalpad.com/PedalBoard-Pedal-Pad-Products.htm

Great pedalboard, lets you keep cords underneath, and have had nothing but great support from them. Not to mention power supply and patch bay as well as adjustability. I have the two tier MPS and love it. Has made my life much easier.

3. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

[​IMG]

Hey 1-Take-Wonder,

I use the SKB PS-45 power conditioned pedalboard. It has 8 DC jacks, 3 AC jacks, a patchbay, a 9' AC cord, and a nice hard plastic pedalboard cover. I installed a VHT Valvulator I buffer/ power supply to get rid of noise, tone suckage and add extra DC jacks. I also installed an Area 51 wah buffer circuit in my Area 51 wah pedal to get rid of squealing from distortion or fuzz pedals impedance mismatch. Simple rig with a good sound. I designed it as my jam night system. I can plug this rig into an amp's effects loop return and kick ass. I currently amplify this pedalboard with a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 combo amp.

Guitar George

4. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

thanks for the pic...I like the flexibility, especially the multiple plug-n options. I have a powered volume pedal that wont work with a wall wart-type adapter.

I don't use effects loops much. Have you ever plugged it straight into non-master volume amps?

5. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

How does that DS-1 (is that an analogman, BTW?) sound through an effects loop?

6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey 1-Take-Wonder,

My Hughes & Kettner Tubeman guitar preamp won't work well plugged straight into a non-master volume amp. It's designed to plug into an amp's effects loop return or the input of my Tech 21 Power Engine 60 combo amp. The Tubeman preamp controls each channel's individual gain, volume and the shared EQ bypassing the host guitar amp's gain, volume and EQ. This is how I have my pedalboard wired up:
    Guitar in on patchbay

VHT Valvulator I to Area 51 wah pedal

Area 51 wah pedal to Analogman Super mod DS-1

Analogman Super mod DS-1 to Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp

H&K Tubeman preamp to Boss CE-2 Chorus

CE-2 Chorus to Boss OC-2 octaver

OC-2 Octaver to Ibanez FL-9 flanger

FL-9 flanger to Boss DD-2 delay

DD-2 delay to Boss RV-2 reverb

RV-2 reverb to from pedal input on patchbay.

Out to host guitar amp's effect loop return or the input of Tech 21 Power Engine 60.

If you build your pedalboard, you're going to have your pedals wired up differently than mine. You'll probably have a wah pedal, some kind of overdrive or boost, modulation effects and a delay. Having this going into the front of your amp should work fine. If you want to bypass all of the effects you can install a bypass loop box on your pedalboard or unplug the cord from the pedalboard and plug straight into the amp.

Guitar George

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey grego7,

This is how I have my pedalboard wired up:
    Guitar in on patchbay

VHT Valvulator I to Area 51 wah pedal

Area 51 wah pedal to Analogman Super mod DS-1

Analogman Super mod DS-1 to Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp

H&K Tubeman preamp to Boss CE-2 Chorus

CE-2 Chorus to Boss OC-2 octaver

OC-2 Octaver to Ibanez FL-9 flanger

FL-9 flanger to Boss DD-2 delay

DD-2 delay to Boss RV-2 reverb

RV-2 reverb to from pedal input on patchbay.

Out to host guitar amp's effect loop return or the input of Tech 21 Power Engine 60.

A brief explanation of how my pedalboard is setup:
    The VHT Valvulator I, Area 51 wah pedal and Analogman DS-1 Super mod pedal is before the H&K Tubeman. The modulation and delay effects are after the Tubeman and goes to the from pedal input. The pedalboard output goes to the amp's effects loop return or the input jack of my Tech 21 Power Engine 60 powered extension speaker.

Concerning the DS-1 pedal, I use it as an overdrive before the H&K Tubeman preamp. I put the H& K Tubeman on its clean channel and turn on the DS-1 as lightly overdriven sound. I consider it my "fourth" sound when I need a bluesy or light overdriven tone. I use the H&K crunch and lead with the gain all the way up for my "Marshall" sounds. Since the DS-1 goes into the H&K Tubeman preamp, then the modulated and delay effects, it sounds quite good. The DS-1 pedal is not designed to go into the effects loop return by itself.

Guitar George

8. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Guitar George:

So essentially by using the effects return as your input, you are just using the power amp section of the amp? That sounds cool, and I would imagine gives you pretty consistent tone regardless of amp you need to use at a jam.

Thanks for sharing the info!

9. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

If you need a board and case, try www.tmcases.com - Mark is a super cool guy. I just ordered the PB-01.

10. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I have a PB-03, great piece of gear and +1 for Mark too :dude

the whole thing has allready flown over the Atlantic fully loaded without any problem

11. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

so with the TM cases stuff, its basically just a box/surface and I would need to to use voodoo labs/VHT etc. for the signal path buffers and AC/DC splits. Right?

Thanks for all the info. this is great. I appreciate the collective knowledge.

12. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

yes, the TMcases are only pedalboard + case, there is no electronic equipment

13. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

+1000 for TMCases. Mark made me 2 boards, both custom and they are fantastic. He's amazing to deal with.

14. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey grego7,

That is correct.

Guitar George

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

16. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

Just got a Rock-On Pedal King....Two levels and a place for your volume and to stash your PedalPower. Sweet board for the money and comes with a padded gig bag....You can't go wrong for $100! :)