Recommendations for quality headphones

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
I'm assuming the goal of all good headphones is to be FRFR, and that's what I'm looking for. I need some cans that will give me an accurate aural image of what I'm dialing up inside my iso cab (which is going to FOH).

I'm not particularly concerned with price per se (within reason of course, as I have learned in this business that there is always someone who'll charge 5x what a product is reasonably worth, and there is someone who'll glibly pay it). Let's just say I'm not looking for the "Private Stock" headphones, but don't mind paying several hundred dollars (around $300 or a touch more) for an accurate, comfortable set.

Last edited:

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome, and only $100, too...best of the moderately priced???

Empros

ATH M50s are the best. Affordable and hold their own against any other headphones in my opinion. A must buy!

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
What does FRFR mean?

Full Range Flat Response...wherein the headphones don't color or accentuate a particular frequency, but rather give you an accurate tonal image of what your rig is actually producing.

digiTED

rock > talk
I picked up the M30 last year on a blow out (IIRC ~$30 ish) Not bad on my informal Scarlett > S-Gear / MBP noodling rig. Perhaps a bit brittle in the highs tho.

TimmyP

What is the application? Which is more important, absolute fidelity or maximum isolation for live use? If the former, Grado. If the latter, ExtremeHeadphones. In between, the AT isn't bad if you like very heavy bass.

straticus

Full Range Flat Response...wherein the headphones don't color or accentuate a particular frequency, but rather give you an accurate tonal image of what your rig is actually producing.

Oh, ok. Thanks!

In that case I'd recommend checking out the Focal Spirit Pros. I picked a pair up a while ago and they are outstanding!

.........and very FRFR :)

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
What is the application? Which is more important, absolute fidelity or maximum isolation for live use? If the former, Grado. If the latter, ExtremeHeadphones. In between, the AT isn't bad if you like very heavy bass.

Application is last line of my first paragraph in OP.

dragan

if money is no object I like beyer closed ears , for cheap I like the sennhieser ,AT , Fostex

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
if money is no object I like beyer closed ears , for cheap I like the sennhieser ,AT , Fostex

Well, money is an object, within reason, given that I've seen headphones that cost several thousand dollars...makes me chuckle, quite honestly. Can't see how there is a significant difference in aural quality between a pair that costs $350 and one that costs $3,500. I would imagine it is somewhat on par with a $2,000 PRS DGT and the same guitar in the Privat Stock line that runs $18,000, but sounds exactly the same.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom