Recommendations for the best Acoustic guitar amp

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Kborg, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

If cost were not an issue:Devil ... What is the best combo type amp for acoustic guitar. This would be used in a band setting for folk or rock applications, playing clubs possibly some outdoor pool deck type stuff?

Now if we leave fantasy land, in the real world what is the best bang for the buck:angel.

If you could also give me an idea of new and used costs with these it would be great!!:AOK

I am an old electric banger looking to broaden the horizon. I have a custom made EA and need an amp to get 'r' done.

Thanks

2. chicknpickn2

chicknpickn2 Member

If money is no object, I would go for a Rivera Sadona.

All tube witha switchable JBL tweeter.
    2 channels,full Marshall type overdrive, and great Fender clean
    It comes in around 2500.00 for a 55 watt.

The new GenzBenz pro is a great acoustic amp for bang for the buck
    I also like the Schertler Unico....Killer amp!

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

The AER Compact 60 is a great acoustic amp!

4. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Plus 1. The Sedona is a great acoustic amp, the best I've used. had one for awhile but stopped playing acoustic on stage and sold it. Be aware it's around 80lbs, still there's nothing better.

Rivera bulds a Sedona Lite which would be my amp if I needed to play acoustic on stage again. It's around $1200.

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

Second that. Played my first one yesterday, liked it so much I went back and played it again today. Great amp for an acoustic guitar. Not inexpensive but it is as good as advertised.

6. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

I'm going to give that one another vote.

If you want something much, much cheaper... the SWR Strawberry Blone (about $500) is a great option.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I know its not a dedicated acoustic amp but after having demoed most of em I would go for a small Mackie Mixer ie. 1402 vlz pro into a Mackie powered monitor and use whatever effects unit in the aux. channel along with a graphic eq...

a friend of mine is an acoustic solo performer and has a couple of setups for different venues...he has the above setup and I like it better than his AER acoustic cube II with the powered extension speaker...

Chow,
    Seegs

8. ap1

ap1 Member

And a third vote for it as well. I picked one up after experimenting with the usual suspects in that general price range. The sound is pristine, the features are great - in a small room I can plug a vocal mic into one channel, my guitar into the other, and it puts out a pretty big sound. The direct out is great for band situations; I can control my stage volume without affecting the signal going to the board. The ultimate plus is the compactness and light weight; I can stroll into the gig guitar in one hand, amp strapped across my shoulder. It's great.

I'd encourage you to check this one out.

9. Barron Wesley

Barron Wesley Member

Bang for the buck, I would get a Fishman Loudbox. Very good bang! 250 Watts with direct out. Portable, great sounding, $450-500 new. $253 blem deals at musiciansfriend.

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I know I'm a broken record, but THE PA! I've played the Loudbox, and IMO, it is a PA. What Seegs suggested is what I like, that type of system, but I like to have at least one sweepable mid control.

But amps have proven to be more of a problem than a solution to me, as they are one more place to stay away from to avoid feedback, and most of them are more toy than tool.

11. Barron Wesley

Barron Wesley Member

True to a degree. But I have been on stage in a full band situation where I didn't use an acoustic amp and went direct. I used a wedge to monitor my guitar and there was a feedback problem. I couldn't hear what was coming from my guitar at all because the monitor couldn't be turned up enough. It was like playing deaf. That is a stinky situation. And the people running the sound were pro's. Now I will always use a portable amp as a monitor because of that experience. I think it is a very important tool.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

:dude

13. Iralovesguitars

Iralovesguitars Member

If cost is no object, daedalus amps are incredible. All hardwood cabinets, and rackmounts on top. add a pendulum sps-1, crown power, a really nice effects unit, and a monster power conditioner and you've got yourself one incredible rig. as far as combo amps go, i've got a fishman loudbox that i use a "main" which is receiving signal from my ultrasound ag50ds2. closeout on the ultrasound, and bought the fishman when i heard they were available in KY Christmas '03 unheard. I've demo'd the Loudbox Pro, and it sounded incredible. Huge. 70-80lbs too, but 600w! i'd feedback before i found the end of that wattage.

14. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Another vote from me. Best bang for buck sound available today (IMHO) and really easy to lug around. As for high quality alternatives, I would gravitate toward pro PA gear if ever I needed more than my Compact 60 (I use the line out into the band PA for gigs and the Compact 60 for my onstage monitoring anyway).

15. Ogre

Ogre Member

The little Ashdown acoustic amp sounds warmer/more natural than the AER. It's also cheaper.