Recommendations for under $1000

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by tonefreak, Oct 17, 2005.

1. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Sorry... I know nothing about acoustic guitars other than Taylor and Martin.

I want to keep the price at $1000 or below and would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks so much!!

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Alvarez has some really good acoustics well under a grand, as do Takamine and Yamaha. Worth a trip to GC just to check them out.

I picked up a Martin 000-16SGT for a bit under your budget and it's quickly become my #1 acoustic. It's a slot-headed 12-fret with a slightly undersized body and it just sounds GREAT. Worth looking at, as is the 000-15S, which is an all-mahogany version of what I have.

Good luck - and have fun checking out guitars!

--chiba

3. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

Look for a used Larrivee. The 05 (mahogany) and possibly 09 (rosewood standard) series should be around that used. Great guitars.

4. ROKY

ROKY Member

If you're not playing bluegrass or in need of lots of bass boom
    and volume, or heavy-handed strummer, I would look at the
    000-sized guitars, as Chiba has suggested.

Used is not a bad way to go depending on where you look; e.g.
    online dealers of good reputation, and eBay also, in case your
    local shops are lacking in selection.

I just bought a really hip little 00-sized guitar on eBay: solid
    spruce top solid rosewood back and sides for $300 !

it's a Korean-made-(not necessarily a bad thing) Michael Kelly
    brand, but ... it has really great tone.

I'm going to change the plastic bridge to fossilized walrus and
    the bridge pins to bone and that should hop it up nicely.

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

For my money, you can't beat the Epiphone Masterbilt series. Unbelievable quality for the price. Yeah, they're built in China. But to buy a US made guitar of this quality, you'd pay at least three times the street price. Mine still amazes me every day. All solid woods and super clean workmanship inside and out. Did I mention great tone? Try one. But keep in mind there are several models. I prefer the V-necks on the orchestra models but others will like the more modern necks on the jumbos. Honestly, unless you're going to step up to something costing many more dollars (Collings, high-end Martin, etc.) you need to check these out.

6. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

Chiba mentioned the martin 000-15S which is a great guitar, I'm a fan of any of the martin 000's (i have one for sale in the emporium) ;)

also a fan of the laravee (sp?) parlor guitars, amazing value!

7. Troy

Troy Member

I'd check out Larrivee, but new one's are now priced slightly over 1k for the mahogany. Breedlove's are a great way to go for well under 1k. Takamine and Alvarez. Good as well but not quite the same although I have an AF60 that sounds as good as one of my Larrivees. Scary. I have a Larrivee Parlor for sale that I'll post in the emporium. It's new however so probably right out of range for you.

8. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Tacoma-

Exceptional US made acoustics.

9. onemind

onemind Member

You can surely find a 3xx series Taylor in good shape in your budget. If you like that neck, you have to stay with Taylor. I think Seagull guitars are under rated, similar to the Larivees.

(s)

10. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i use to own a seagull guitar it was a dred cutaway. that was the best $250 i've ever spent. I ended up giving it to a good friend, so i could play it once and a while. really sweet guitars if you can find the right one!

11. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

you could prob find 30 or more excellemt guitars under $1k

do a search at bizrate.com and searh acoustic guitars under $1k

you'll be pleasantly surprized

my suggestion?....a Martin, taylor, or takamine..in that order...or you might be able to find a used gibbo for $999

goodluckbro:dude

12. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

Blueridge guitars are excellent value. I also agree about Alvarez. I have never been a big Takamine fan. They remind me too much of Washburns which are sh*t boxes. Tacoma has a lot to offer, but bar none maybe the best deal I've seen on an acoustic is the Larrivee 03r guitars. Solid Rosewood back and sides for right at a grand. That's unheard of anymore.

13. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I agree that Blueridge guitars ar a great value. I have played a couple and they sound great but their headstocks looks a bit weird. A Larrivee is also a good option. I bought a used Epiphone J-45 Elitist for $710.00 and it is a great guitar also.

14. Izy

Izy Member

One more vote for Larrivee.

Excellant value!!!

:dude

15. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Man...some excellent suggestions. I agree 110% on the Larrivee. Of course, I'm happy with the one I have, so it makes it eay to recommend. Great guitars for the money. The Epiphone Elitist series also has some great sounding ,well constructed guitars. I played several that were better sounding and better playing that guitars costing twice as much. The Blueridge guitars are a a great value.

16. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Member

IMHO, best bang for the buck acoustic under $1000 is the Martin 15 series. All mahogany, but all Martin also....;)

17. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

My earlier post recommended Epiphone's relatively new, Chinese-made, Masterbilt series. I just noticed there's a new Chinese-built Guild series, the GAD series. I haven't gotten my hands on one but in photos they look suspiciously similar to my Epiphone. They too are all solid wood construction (mine is solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top, solid mahogany neck) and the idential satin finish. Hmm....
    Anyway, like the Epis, they've been getting solid reviews and are priced nicely as well.
    I'd been pretty much a US guitar snob for 40 years. Frankly, if acoustic were my primary gig, I'd buy a Collings. But I've got to tell ya, these Chinese made guitars are unbelievably well built and sweet sounding. Better by far than the lower end US production guitars. And cleaner workmanship than even some higher end US models. Talk about bang for the buck!

18. smoove

smoove Guest

One more vote for Breedlove - If you can find a used one for under $1000, they're great. And +1 for Larrivee - I borrowed a D-03 this last weekend and it was a giant for tone. Used, it'd be under $1000.

If you're all about playability and tone and NOT what's on the headstock, you'll be happier with what you find.

I have not played the Breedlove 'Atlas' line but it's their design built overseas. And their design is what sets them apart.

Used Alvarez/Yairis are good as well - the Monte Montgomery model is pretty cool. I wouldn't own a non-Yairi. I wouldn't even donate one to charity, for that matter.

19. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Just a note on Larrivee pricing - you should be able to find a D-03 (or L-03 etc.) for WELL under $1000 NEW.